Brass Boiler Drain Valve for Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Anyone see any issue for using this vs. a Ball Valve?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_56964-34146...entURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=boiler+valve+&facetInfo=

The 1/2" drain fits perfectly in my igloo cooler. It already has the nut to secure it to the bulkhead. I basically just removed the plastic spigot and replaced it with this adding 1 washer to the outside to secure it tighter. Please let me know if i'm going to poison myself lol... Also, I BIAB so I'm not worried about a kettle screen of false bottom.

:mug:

Looks like that's a gate valve which, IIRC, will not give you as linear a flow rate change as you typically want in a brewing setup and can be more of a PITA to clean.

Thanks for the response. What is linear flow rate change? Never heard that term before. What would be the issue with cleaning? I could easily take it off the tun run some star san through and air dry? Please let me know what I am missing.. Thanks!

With the stem in line with the inlet, don't think that's a gate valve......but a ball valve would be better, IMHO. And I use a brass (ball) valve, and if I were going to be poisoned by it, I would not be writing this post. I recommend cooler conversion hardware from Bargain Fittings- where I got mine.

With the stem in line with the inlet, don't think that's a gate valve......but a ball valve would be better, IMHO. And I use a brass (ball) valve, and if I were going to be poisoned by it, I would not be writing this post. I recommend cooler conversion hardware from Bargain Fittings- where I got mine.

You're right, it's not.

But, as you said, a ball valve will be better. I use brass and I haven't noticed any problems other than a few weird ticks.

Wait, those were there way before I used brass on my rig. Carry on.

I believe that would be a globe valve. It seems to me that would cause a large amount of turbulence with fluid flowing through it. (Detrimental or not, i dont know...) Ball valves match the ID of the valve body (typically) and thus, dont have the turbulence a plug/gate/butterfly/etc. valve would.

Please note, this post is coming from my experience at work (oil plant; plenty of valves there...) I have no experience (yet!) with valving and fluid movement in the brewing process. The most ive done is pour my wort through a strainer into my carboy. :)

read - Valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back