Brand New to Brewing: Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemlich22

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Today I treated myself to an early Christmas gift and bought a brewing starter kit and an extract ingredient kit to use as my first brew. I now have my first batch fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy. The fermenting seems to going nuts and bubbles are coming up and out of my air lock at a pretty good rate. Is this a normal occurance or have I done something wrong?

Nope, its a good thing... perfect even. Now comes the suck part i.e. waiting

If the airlock slows after a few days dont worry, everything is fine. Welcome to the madness! Check out the stickies.

Ok thanks guys. Do you normally keep your fermentation carboy in another bucket then to handle the overflowing bubbles?

Don't listen to the posters above. You definitely have a problem. Sounds like you have a yeast infection. :D

Seriously, everything is fine. Check out some threads in the beginner's forum and give this beer a few weeks to do its thing. I'd recommend at least 3 weeks of fermentation in primary, but there are others here who disagree. Welcome to home brewing! :mug:

If krausen is overflowing out of your airlock, you might want to install a blow off tube. Take some vinyl tubing, plug it in where your airlock would normally go and run it into a large container filled with sanitizer/water.

yes, if you put a whole 5 gal in a 5 gal carboy you'd need a blowoff tube instead of an airlock as there is too little room left for the krausen .... maybe spend another 15 bucks and get a pail and use the carboy as a secondary, it will free up your pail for another batch.

Don't listen to the posters above. You definitely have a problem. Sounds like you have a yeast infection. :D

Seriously, everything is fine. Check out some threads in the beginner's forum and give this beer a few weeks to do its thing. I'd recommend at least 3 weeks of fermentation in primary, but there are others here who disagree. Welcome to home brewing! :mug:

Ok perfect, thank you.

Back