Brand New Brewer from Columbia, SC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kzang

Reaction score
Hey, all!

I'm from Columbia, SC. I'm 28 years old, and I am a respiratory therapist at a local hopsital. I haven't had much "experience" in the beer world. I started drinking beer in college, with coors light kegs at parties. It really didn't peak my interest.

Ever since then, I had tried a few beers here and there....nothing major. (Like Yuengling, fat tire, hard ciders, etc) I was more of a wine drinker. I dabbled into the whites, then finally into the reds. I have a huge sweet tooth, which led to me more of the sweeter wines.

A buddy of mine introduced me into lambic style. My favorite is Kasteel Rouge, if you were wondering! At that point, I kept trying different beers ever so often.

I started dating my wonderful girlfriend who really enjoys beer and wine. Over our ten months of dating, I did enjoy having "beer tasting dates." I would go go different stores such as Total Wine and More, Greene's, World Market, and Whole Foods, to buy a variety of beers...even up to 25 beers one time, to taste test.

As I have done this, I have grown my palate a bit, and actually prefer less sweeter beers. For instance, the Kenyan beer, Tusker, is okay. (It isn't the best. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but it was decent based on the other 25 beers I had from World Market...except for one...which was....) The Brazilian Xingu Black Beer, it was not what I was expecting from a black beer...even though my knowledge is limited.

Lastly, I stumbled onto the best beer I have ever had. I had the chance to taste it from draft from a restaurant, and it was the heavenly Gulden Draak 9000 Quad. Simply, it was absolute heaven in my mouth, which got me into thinking about brewing my own beers. (Other amazing notable is the Southern Tier Warlock seasonal)

One other major reason that made me delve more into beers is that I absolutely LOVE a beer with SPICY HOT wings, and spicy food in general. I just purchased some 800,000 scoville units ghost pepper hot sauce.

I am interested in home brewing to try to basically have fun and make delicious beers that may fit into the tastes of our palates. She has had a generous amount of more beers than I ever had. I love the aspect about beer, as I do about wine and cheese. It requires experience and developing a palate. I think it will be amazing to experience new flavors that we create for our us, and friends.

I digress, that sums it up about me! I have ordered my supplies, and they should be here in TWO days!!! I am going to post about in the beginners section for help, but I might as well introduce the tools of my trade I will be soon be trying to fumble around with!!

I purchased the following items. :)

The Gold Homebrew Kit has all you need to get brewing and adds a glass carboy for secondary fermentation resulting in a cleaner finished brew. Each Equipment Kit Includes: True Brew Handbook & Kit Instructions, 7.8 Gallon Fermenting Bucket, 1 Lid Drilled & Grommet, True Brew Rack & Fill kit, 6 Gallon Glass Carboy, Fermometer Fermentation Thermometer, Small Buon Vino Drilled Stopper, Hydrometer, Bottling Spigot, Emily Double Lever Capper, 3 Piece Airlock, Bottle Brush, C-Brite Sanitizer 8-Pack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BU7CVM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Super Efficient 3/8" x 25' Stainless Steel Wort Chiller

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D4QPQW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time Paperback – May 17, 2006

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0937381888/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm debating on getting THESE items...I've been told they are very helpful, but I'm not sure if the brand name/quality is good. I think I need a kettle too, but I can't find a decent priced one on Amazon. There is one that is PRIME eligible, but it has some pretty bad reviews. (I would like to buy on Amazon for these items due to free 2 day shipping, and my Amazon Credit card)

• Fermtech Plastic Bottle Filler
  • Fermtech Large (0.5-inch Auto Siphon)
  • Vinyl Tubing 7/16 Food Grade

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you here. I live in Cola as well. I will my girlfriend was as adventurous a beer taster as yours seems to be.

Welcome!

Welcome to the group, and the hobby. Designing Great Beers is a helpful book to understand styles. The very best thing about homebrewing is crafting beers that are just what you want them to be.

Hey man I live in Cola too... If you ever need any help or anything shoot me a message or whatever, I live in the Sandhills area

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Great! I live in downtown Columbia. My first brewing experience last night gave me a few lessons on what NOT to do. :D

Back