Brain fart - froze my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trav77

Reaction score
Well... trying to do too many things at once and I froze my starter by forgetting to put the STC thermo probe inside my freezer while I was cold crashing my starter. I'm sure the safe bet would be to just brew something else and order some new yeast but I really wanted to have a weissbier on the go. Anyone have success in the past using a starter that's been frozen? I'm sure the viable cell count will be reduced but I'm not sure by how much...

Cheers

There should be enough viable yeast cells after thawing for you to pitch or you could thaw it and make another starter. Either way you can save the viable yeast for pitching. I pitched a smack pack that was frozen in transit and the brew came out excellent. No worries whatever route you go.

If you have time I would probably make another starter of the same size using that yeast. That will ensure that things are going again.

If you don't have time, you could still just pitch it. Even if half or more of the yeast cells have died you will still have a passable number.

Latest posts

Back