Braid, Manifold, or False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the posts. Its actually just a matter of space for me. I would gladly fork over the extra 10bux...but I just don't have the room for a big cooler. Plus- I dont see myself living somewhere with outdoor space in the near future- so I think I will be doing alot of partial mashes...in a 5 gallon cooler...with a false bottom...boiling about 3 gallons on the stove...and then topping off in order to get to a 5g batch of brew.

I might as well just throw another question out there: Given the system I just described (5 gallon cooler...false bottom...partial mash...used for a 5 gallon batch)....whats the best way to sparge?...keeping additional equipment to a minimum of course. & if you tell me to PM on the stove with a grain bag and then sparge by dipping the bag in another pot....all my planning on converting a cooler to a mash tun will be a big ole waste.

i partial mash on the stove. You can do either, however I still think my 8gallon square cooler takes up as much space as a 5gal round cooler. Just my opinion. Its also easier to stir with mash paddle.

I might as well just throw another question out there: Given the system I just described (5 gallon cooler...false bottom...partial mash...used for a 5 gallon batch)....whats the best way to sparge?...keeping additional equipment to a minimum of course. & if you tell me to PM on the stove with a grain bag and then sparge by dipping the bag in another pot....all my planning on converting a cooler to a mash tun will be a big ole waste.

This is actually exactly what I was going to recommend after reading your above post. PM is a great way to go and the only way to go if you do not plan to do full boils = minimum 6-7 gals.

I did Deathbrewer's PM method for years with a minimum of fuss and excellent results. I only switched to coolers when I went AG a while back.

When you decide to go AG, don't waste your money on a 5 gallon cooler. Go straight for the 10 gallon cooler or you will eventually end up with both.

I used to use a 5 gallon cooler I won in a raffle two years ago, until I replaced it with a 10 gallon one that I incidentally got for free :D

There's nothing wrong with a 5 gallon unless you want to use a grain bill over 14 lbs or so, but batch sparging takes a little longer due to the limited capacity vs. the amount of total water needed (plus the grain already in there).

I still have the 5 gallon one, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Thanks for all the posts. Its actually just a matter of space for me. I would gladly fork over the extra 10bux...but I just don't have the room for a big cooler. Plus- I dont see myself living somewhere with outdoor space in the near future- so I think I will be doing alot of partial mashes...in a 5 gallon cooler...with a false bottom...boiling about 3 gallons on the stove...and then topping off in order to get to a 5g batch of brew.

I'm also a kitchen brewer (I really don't want to have to be outside!), but I use a 10 gallon pot, a 10 gallon cooler, and I just got another 10 gallon one to use as a HLT. With all of this crap set up with a March pump and plate chiller and tubing running everywhere the kitchen looks like some kind of industrial disaster, but there's still room to work. Granted, the space over the kitchen cabinets between brewdays looks like Fred Sanford's garage due to the amount and size of all my gear, but I can fit all my junk up there except one of the coolers which has to go in a closet.

Little wooden folding TV tray tables are my best friend - even with all the counter space I still use at least two of those besides to hold crap.

Just saying it can be done.

I used to use my 5 gallon cooler (i already had it otherwise i would have bought a 10) with a paint strainer bag in it. That works great and is really cheap.

I just added a ss braid this week, but i have not used it yet.

It is almost time to step up and buy a 10 gallon cooler.

I use a SS braid in a 5-gal Home Depot/Igloo cooler, and have gotten good results. I can't compare it to the other setups though. Ultimately, it's probably a matter of preference.

Before that, I used a grain bag in an unmodified 2-gal cooler.

My FB is can beat up your braid or manifold!

I was going to say something like "you're a nazi if you use a braid or manifold", but I think that violates some law we have around here and could possibly get the thread locked.

And if you're going to go w/ a 10 gal cooler, you might as well make it a 15.5 gal keg and step up to the plate w/ the big boys. You know you can't make "real" beer w/ that 5 gal cooler. :D

I did the braid thing and ended up switching to a false bottom. I'm too hamfisted and kept stirring and crushing the braid. :(

I was just saying that i thought most folks using 10 gallon cooler for their MT where probably doing 10 gallon batches. I did not mean that it was or should only be used for 10 gallon batches. Square coolers are WAY cheaper than round ones and I have never seen a 10 gallon round cooler only $10 more than a 5 gallon round one unless it was at a yard sale.;):)

I agree that if round is your thing (like it was for some reason for me) then go with a 10 as like someone said, thats where you will end up anyway. If I had it to do all over again I would have just bought a Sabco and saved a lot of money!! :D

Wow, let's roll from one religious topic to the next. ;)

See, the thing is, there's no best. There's no best cooler, no best filter mechanism, no best sparge technique, the list goes on...

Just pick some equipment and a technique that you know works and roll with it. If someone uses a grain bag for their PMs and it works for them, they may suggest that you are actually wasting your time and $$ by converting a 5 gal cooler.

Back