BPA with strong banana smell and flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paquitin

Reaction score
I brewed Jamils BPA using WLP550 and fermenting between 66-68f. After 5 days I Checked gravity and I was at 1.020, shooting for 1.010. Flavor and smell was bready and yeasty with some spiciness. A week and a half later I did a second gravity check and it's at 1.014, but now it's smells and taste like banana almost like a Bavarian hef. Temp might had drop 1 or two degrees more bc of weather. Is this normal or did something went wrong?

I have done the exact same yeast substitute on that recipe, at similar temps. It came out a little spicy, and now that I think of it there has been a bit of banana to it, but has mellowed out quite a bit over time. It isn't going to end up as clean as De Konink, but it still a very tasty beer.

I use the WLP550 for my BPA (Similar to Jamil's recipe with a bit more caramunich and ~1oz of carafaIII for color) and get similar flavors. The first time, fermentation temps got up to 80F and produced an extremely fruity and spicy beer. The fruitiness subsided after a couple of months, but the clove flavor remained (still good though). Second time, fermented at 68F which resulted in a clean fruitiness with a tiny hint of clove at the end. Right now I'm fermenting another batch at 72F, hoping for a little more clove. We'll see in about another week.

Back