Bourbon extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I'm experimenting with this, hoping it turns out good......

4 oz coffee malt
12 oz caramel 10
12 oz chocolate malt
Steep for 30 minutes
Add 1 can golden light lme at 45 minutes
Add 2nd can at 15 minutes
1 oz fuggle at 15 minutes
1 oz northern brewer at 10 minutes and 1 whirlflock tablet
London ale 1028 is yeast used

Soak 2oz toasted oak chips in bourbon for 2 weeks. Add bourbon to beer for another two weeks before cold crashing.

I had good results with soaking oak spirals in whiskey for a day or two and then added the spirals and whiskey directly to the primary as soon as it was done/mostly done fermenting (about 5-7 days). I then conditioned for another two weeks for a total of three before bottling.
Are you cold crashing to remove the cloudy factor? If you're kegging it doesn't matter and will probably look a little better. That long conditioning time won't matter then either. If you're bottling, I would skip cold crashing and the long conditioning in the fermenter and let it condition in the bottle. Getting yeast to cooperate after that long can be dicey. Good luck with the experiment.

Did you plan any hops at 45? Haven’t plugged it in to check, but I would think IBU’s would be next to nothing with that schedule.

I did add the hops later in the boil. I'm not a fan of IPAs and didn't want it to be too strong of a brew. Should I add more hops at this stage, or would that be a waste?

I had good results with soaking oak spirals in whiskey for a day or two and then added the spirals and whiskey directly to the primary as soon as it was done/mostly done fermenting (about 5-7 days). I then conditioned for another two weeks for a total of three before bottling.
Are you cold crashing to remove the cloudy factor? If you're kegging it doesn't matter and will probably look a little better. That long conditioning time won't matter then either. If you're bottling, I would skip cold crashing and the long conditioning in the fermenter and let it condition in the bottle. Getting yeast to cooperate after that long can be dicey. Good luck with the experiment.

I will be putting it in a keg, probably next weekend.

Back