Bourbon Barrel Cherry Quad with Zin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made this recipe for the 2nd time, with the cherries, bourbon, and oak, it came out awesome and aged even better. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=356669

This time, I did 10G, so I am thinking of doing 1/2 with oak chips soaked in a Red Zinfandel I have been ageing. Has anyone done this, if so, how much wine to mix in? I think I'm going to buy a commercial quad and experiment with blending. I appreciate in advance all advice.

I have tried some wine-beer blends, and really enjoyed them, so am anxious to branch out into some experiments on this limb of the homebrew tree. :tank:

I would guess it would depend on your taste whether to use the port or wine. If you are using the port or wine to help top off a carboy to limit headspace then it may be better to go with wine to not make it too boozy.

I brewed a Russian River Temptation clone. This is a Belgian Golden ale aged in chardonnay barrels with Brett, Pedio and Lacto. I brewed a 5 gallon batch of the beer but through trub loss had a lot of head space when I transferred to secondary. The recipe recommended topping off with chardonnay wine and it took 4 bottles to do this.

Back