Boulevard Harvest Dance Wheat Wine: All-grain Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrews

Reaction score
So I'm going to be using this thread as an open text for my notes while recreating Boulevard's Harvest Dance Wheat Wine. Here's the baseline information we need.

Target OG: 1.086+
Target FG: 1.017
IBU: 38-42
Target ABV: 9.5%
Color (EBC): 23

37% American 2-row pale malt
25% White wheat malt
22% Raw soft red wheat
10% Pilsner malt
2% Carawheat
2% Amber malt (50L)
2% Rolled oats
Dextrose as needed to reach 1.086 at least

90 minute boil
Hallertau Magnum/Traditional or Perle – FWH (7 ibu)
Hallertau Magnum/Traditional or Perle– 90m (9 ibu)
Citra or Nelson Sauvin – 10m (16 ibu)
Citra or Nelson Sauvin – Whirlpool (6 ibu)

Much of this information was discovered in Stan Hieronymus' book "Brewing with Wheat", which I highly recommend you read if you haven't. However, the use of Perle hops is stated on Boulevard's website instead of the Hallertau Magnum/Traditional that is written in Stan's book.

Here's my scaling for 5.5 gallons into the fermenter. I'll be brewing this within the month so I'll post my actuals and adjustments.

Grist
8.25 lbs American 2-row Pale Malt
5.75 lbs White Wheat Malt
5 lbs Raw Flaked Wheat
2.25 lbs American Pilsner Malt
0.45 lbs CaraCrystal Wheat Malt
0.45 lbs UK Amber malt (50L)
0.45 lbs Rolled Oats
Dextrose as needed to reach 1.086 at least.
0.5 lbs of rice hulls

Hop Schedule
8g Magnum - FWH
12g Perle - 90m
42g Citra – 10m
14g Citra – Whirlpool 10m

Yeah, I use both the imperial and metric units when they suit me.:off:

So in Stan's book, Steven Pauwels shares Boulevard's mash schedule as well, but I was thinking of adding a twist and mashing out through decoction. I figure trying to decoction mash out of a protein rest would end up taking too long and result in a longer protein rest than I want, and there's really only one step in their sacch rest. Also, I figure it would be harder to mess up my first decoction mash if I was using it to hit mash-out temps, so it wouldn't be as detrimental if I overshot.

So here's the modified mash schedule from Pauwels, accounting for the decoction.

Mash Schedule
Add an organic acid to your mash to get to a pH between 5.2 and 5.4. With a high percentage of wheat, a protein rest is favorable.
Mash-in 126-129F, protein rest for 20 minutes.
Raise temperature to 145F for a sacch rest of 60 minutes.
Mash-off by decoction at 163-167F.
Batch sparge at 170F.

As for yeast selection, Boulevard uses the same Belgian yeast in all of their Belgian beers, they just vary the fermentation temperature and schedules to achieve different results. Steven recommends a Belgian yeast with medium to low ester production, high alcohol tolerance, and low production of 4-vinyl guaiacol (clove-like aroma). So I was thinking of trying out a few different yeasts to figure out which one I prefer more. Going to try Wyeast 3787, 1214, and 1762. (LHBS doesn't carry white labs)

He also recommends aging on medium or heavier toasted oak (Boulevard uses both American and French) and priming with white grape juice (they use Viognier). I don't know that I'll be doing that, but we'll see how it progresses. I have to have brew day first!

I hope this will help some of the other homebrewers out there who are interested in experimenting with Wheat Wines. I know I really enjoyed Boulevard's rendition and it was the drink that opened me up to what wheat can truly be in a beer! If anyone else brews this, please post in this thread and let us know how it went, or if you changed anything.

If you have some recommendations on how to carry out the decoction/grist replacements, I'd welcome them. I've never used this high a percentage of wheat, or raw wheat in a mash, let alone decocted the mash. Any help I can get will only make this brew day go smoother!
Prost! :mug:

Subscribing and really looking forward to seeing what will come out of this. I remember first trying Harvest Dance and I loved it. You have inspired me to also give this beer a go soon.

Subscribed. Any insight on what the white grape juice prime might add to a beer?

I also brewed a wheatwine based off of "Brewing With Wheat", about 2 months old so far, but I'm eager to finish it properly.

Best of luck!

I appreciate it ya'll! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you Hresvelgr, keep us posted. It really is a delicious beer.

Bearfoot, Steven Pauwels said his main goal with this beer was for it to actually have a lot of wine characteristics and complexity. So I imagine that bottle priming with white grape juice would add a slight vinous flavor and some added complexity to the nose. They also prime to 3.95 volumes of CO2, so belgian bottles would be recommended!

I'm thinking if I brew it this March, then it'll take about a month for primary to finish up, then I can rack it into a carboy and let it bulk condition for a few months at least. Add any oak during this time if I feel like it. Overall I'm thinking 7-8 months or so at least from ferment to consumption. It's going to be interesting to see how it progresses, as wheat beer is generally best drunk young, but barleywines are best drunk aged. I'm curious to see where along the spectrum wheat wine falls!

How did the brew day go? I'm also thinking about trying my hand at a wheat wine and I think a belgian-esque one like this would be great!

this is definitely getting thrown in the pipeline ahead of abunch of stuff. just tried this beer a month ago and absolutely loooved it. need more ASAP.

**Digs up zombie thread**

I've been planning on cloning this beer as well (it's one of SWMBO's favorites).

What yeast did you end up going with and were you happy with the results?

Have you actually emailed Boulevard...they will send you their recipe....and they don't always use Belgian yeast for all their beers..that just isn't true...looks like a good base recipe though you came up with....how did this turn out...I want to do a wheat wine soon and barrel age it

Have you actually emailed Boulevard...they will send you their recipe....and they don't always use Belgian yeast for all their beers..that just isn't true...looks like a good base recipe though you came up with....how did this turn out...I want to do a wheat wine soon and barrel age it

Did you? Did they send it or should I send an inquiry myself?

Latest posts

Back