Bought a turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutman82

Reaction score
So I got a great deal on a turkey fryer rig and pot today. 39.99 for it from gander mountain. Now I can start to do all grain any good starter recipies or kits? I have been doing extract kits for a while with a Lot of luck but am looking to step it up some. I like stouts porters and ipas

For your first batch, maybe try a SMaSH, I did Munich and Chinook hops, and it was great ! You need about 12 lbs of grain for 5 gallons, and try 4oz of hops if you like it hoppy - 1@60,1@30,1@5 and dry hop with one in secondary for a week.... Delicious !

Sounds good what kind of yeast and malt did you use? Excuse my ignorance this kind of brewing is new to me.

Sounds like a pretty good buy, I will be getting a turkey fryer soon. I got banned from using the stove when I had a boil over. I'm looking forward to moving to all grain and this will be the first step towards that process.

Thats a great price! My first all-grain recipe I brewed was EdWorts Haus Pale Ale, I still brew a version of it as my own house ale.

For your first batch, maybe try a SMaSH, I did Munich and Chinook hops, and it was great ! You need about 12 lbs of grain for 5 gallons, and try 4oz of hops if you like it hoppy - 1@60,1@30,1@5 and dry hop with one in secondary for a week.... Delicious !

forgive me for sounding dumb but when i do a boil and it says 1@60 1@30 and 1@5 that means I add at 60 30 and 5 min?

Unless you have a mash tun, I would recommend to stick with partial mashes or extracts. You can use your pot as a mash tun, but it becomes a pain in the ass. I did it once and then bought a mash tun. I just did a clone of The Magician Ale as a partial mash in my pot. It worked well. I actually just opened the first ones tonight.
The recipe was:

7.3 # pale LME
1# Munich Malt
12 oz. Pale Malt 2 row
10 oz. Cara Pils/Dextrine
10 oz. Crystal Malt L80
7 oz. Crystal Malt L60
3 oz. Roasted Barley

Hops: (All 5.0% AA)
.65 oz. Cascade - 60 min
.5 oz. Cascade - 30 min
.25 oz Cascade - 5 min

Yeast:
2 Pcckages Wyeast #1028 London Ale

It tastes great. It's definitely on the malty side. It has some nice roasted flavor with the Cascade hops are there, but it's a great english amber ale.

the minutes refer to how many minutes are left in the boil, so in a 60 minute boil your 60 min addition would go in right when it comes to a boil, then your 30 minute addition would go in when you have 30 minutes left and your 5 minute addition would go in at the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Think of the times on hop additions as how long they need to boil for, that should make more sense.

Stoutman82 said:
forgive me for sounding dumb but when i do a boil and it says 1@60 1@30 and 1@5 that means I add at 60 30 and 5 min?

For your first one, get 12lbs of Munich grain crushed, put it in a paint strainer bag, get about 6.5 gallons of water up to 152, and dunk the bag in the water, give it a stir (inside the bag) and try to keep the temp at 152ish for 60 mins (turn the burner off, but you might have to add heat about half way through) - After an hour lift the bag up, let it drain for a min or two, and crank up the heat... As soon as it starts to boil, throw in an oz of hops and start your timer for a 60 min boil, throw in another oz with 30mins to go, and another at 5 mins to go. Chill and pitch a pack of US05 when it's about 75..

Make sure to read how to brew by John Palmer online (it's free) just google it, as well as Deathbrewers thread on brew in a bag, and check out the "no chill" thread while your at it - that will keep you busy while it ferments :)

FWIW my first post on HBtalk was asking someone to write out a standard recipe "properly" so i could figure out what to do :). The consensus was if I couldn't read it, I should figure out how.. 1 year and 25+ batches later, I'm glad i did !!!

My buddy got a Turkey fryer on sale too. The only issue he is having, that you may also have, is the size of base that the pot sits on. His solution, use a strong metal grate that is normally put at the bottom of a Weber kettle grill. Just a thought.

Congrats on the turkey fryer!! I would recommend doing one more extract batch with the new kettle. See how she cooks. get a feel for her with the process you're already used to.

I'm a believer that you shouldn't change so many things at once. I recently jumped up to 10 gallon batches. New keggle new HLT, first time using march pump, first 10 gallon batch and first time doing a pilsner.

It wasn't fun. Too many unexpected things.

If you can wait, do so.

My buddy got a Turkey fryer on sale too. The only issue he is having, that you may also have, is the size of base that the pot sits on. His solution, use a strong metal grate that is normally put at the bottom of a Weber kettle grill. Just a thought.

I boil in a keggle, I had to buy a foot of steel, like 1" wide, 1/8" thick and cut a few tabs from it and bolt them on, my keggle sits perfectly on top these three tabs instead of rolling about on its rounded bottom. I can take a few pics of this if you would like.

This one is from master craft has really sturdy legs an a base to it all in all very solid.

Back