Bought a brewery tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackmoe

Reaction score
A friend and I have been brewing for a while and have been batting around the idea of quitting working for the man and starting our own brewery.
We were pretty serious about it but were on a 2 year plan of sorts. Get our recipes down, get some money in the bank, etc.
Well, a local contract brewer went out of business and we were looking at buying one of her conical fermenters. We found out who originally built it and found out new it would run about $1500 or so. We asked what she wanted for it and she asked for an offer. We were afraid we would insult her with our offer and said $200 and its ours. We then had a little phone conference and made our offer for her entire system. 2 conical fermenters, an entire 3 tier all grain system, kegging and bottling set up, regultars, pH gagues, everything. She took it. About $6000 woth of stuff, for 1500.
So, in a couple of days I (we) will be a professional brewer. Not quitting my job or anything just yet. This is all a bit faster than we were planning but we're all totally psyched about the whole thing. We are going to have a party to announce the thing with kegs for the party and 6ers for sale.
The lady that had it before is going to not only give us three of her recipes that she was using commercially but also offered us consulting to get us up and running. That is almost worth the price of equipment in my opinion.

Wish me luck.

That's what I call "letting go with both hands". Congratulations!

I'm curious as to the capacity of the system as well. $1500 is a steal for a commercial system. I hoped you checked your local laws on making and distributing beer. The licenses can take some serious time and money to acquire. I would get your consultant's take on this for sure.

Let us know how it goes!

Prosit!

tnlandsailor said:
...I hoped you checked your local laws on making and distributing beer. The licenses can take some serious time and money to acquire. I would get your consultant's take on this for sure....

Lucky for the OP that he's located in Washington state. Their laws are very free and encouraging of breweries. Wish we had the same here in Virginia.:mad:

Thats awesome.. can't wait to see some pics of the setup... We all have those dreams of perfecting our homebrews to the point where we could do that for a living... good luck...!!!!

Jester

Yeah, I'd be concerned with legal isses, but apparently your laws are better than those in AR? Also, are you doing a brewpub or a brewery? What's the total capacity of the system? MORE DETAILS! AND PICTURES!

capacity? laws? it seems like it has to be a small system so how much was the lady contract brewing? good luck!

Talk about green with envy...
Good Luck man, you are living out many a man's dream...

Yeah, I'm going through bouts of elation and paralyzing fear. A lot of stuff to figure out before we really do anything. Need to draw up a partnership agreement, find a lawyer, raw materials supplier, write a business plan, find out if we can do this ourselves or get funding, come up with a name and logo, all that stuff. I will be keep you all updated.

PICTURES! DETAILS!

P.S. Some of us on this board have a little bit of legal and business knowledge you might take advantage of. Of course, you get what you pay for.

Be sure to get a list of whom she distributed her beer to. Although she obviously didn't distribute enough, you're going to need steady buyers to survive or make a profit. Take every penny you make and pour it into marketing. It's everything. Brewing great beer isn't enough. Look at Coors Light, for gawd sake. Piss-water, but they make millions in profits, primarily attributed to marketing. Hire some hot twins or cheerleaders or something.

Actually, the good part is she did pretty well. She is not going out of business due to lack of business. This is something her and her husband were doing together. Now that they are divorced, it was just a big reminder for her, so she wants out. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

yeah the first image i get is a drunk homebrewer at a brewpub trying to write a check for the brewery....

jackmoe said:
Yeah, I'm going through bouts of elation and paralyzing fear. A lot of stuff to figure out before we really do anything. Need to draw up a partnership agreement, find a lawyer, raw materials supplier, write a business plan, find out if we can do this ourselves or get funding, come up with a name and logo, all that stuff. I will be keep you all updated.

so what's the scoop on your brewery? Got any samples?:D

May I suggest a LLC? Limited Liability Companies are much better from many standpoints than a partnership.

You say 3 tier system. Do you mean 3 barrell? Dang! I live in seattle and missed out on a sweet deal it sounds like. Let me know when you get it set up, I'd love to come by and have a look.

There are so many homebrewers who want to go pro and so much expertise among the homebrewing community, that I always kind of wondered if a co-op approach to a brewery might work. If you had enough people, the start-up costs wouldn't be that bad (and the potential profits would have to be shared among more people) so you could theoretically have a viable brewery making really good beer with comparatively little risk.

But then again, I'm from Madison, WI...

Latest posts

Back