Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcgill

Reaction score
first batch in the bottle... a few questions:

What is best temp? They are currently in a dark closet in basement that stays around 68-70F.

How long? Its an IPA guessing 3 weeks is majic #? Thinking to try one @ 2 weeks though just to see the taste

Sediment: I have a great deal of seiment in the bottles. Guess i can carefully pour and try and leave most of it in the bottle and not get it in the glass? Anyone ever filter from bottle to glass with some type of strainer?

THANKS for any suggestions

70 degrees for a minimum of 3 weeks is what's recommended but may take more time

I sample 1 per week to get a taste and see how things progress an take notes

Sediment is normal just pour slow. If it bothers you then you need to look at your racking process and minimize what you are putting into the bottling bucket.

That temp should be fine for carbonating...I bottled several batches that were good after a few weeks at those temps.

As far as time, 3 weeks should be enough for an ipa I would think. A lot of people recommend waiting but when I was starting out I tried a bottle each week after the first 2 so I could get an idea of the whole process. Eventually I learned patience but don't think its a bad idea for a new brewer to know why it's worth the wait.

The sediment will settle to the bottom. Throw them in the fridge for at least a couple days before drinking and you'll be able to pour the beer without disturbing it. If you plan on reusing the bottles it's a good idea to rinse them out after pouring so it doesn't get nasty in there. Makes future bottling days that much easier if you don't have to scrub them out first.

Good luck with it, and congrats on the first brew!

Another vote for three weeks at 70 degrees... I wouldn't touch it before then, as you pretty much KNOW you'll be drinking green - likely undercarbed - beer.

Pour the beer carefully to leave the sediment behind.

Back