bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonpig

Reaction score
Hello I have my first batch almost done fermenting and am getting ready to bottle.
I have a hand held capper and my question is what are the steps people are using to fill there bottles- Do you fill them all and then cap or fill one at a time and cap or a few at a time.

Just want to do it right this being my first batch

Thank you

The method I prefer is to fill all the bottles, loosely placing the cap on top as i go, and then crimp them all on at the end. This allows any CO2 that is being produced to push oxygen out of the bottle before it is capped. Hope this helps as there are many other methods as well. It probably all comes down to what works best for you. Happy Brewing!:mug:

I cap each one then when done filling i seal them all. Ive only done this because ive read its good to let it sit a bit before capping.

I don't think it makes to much difference as they don't sit very long anyway without a cap. I usually do what I have space for whether its 4 at a time or 12.

I sit at the head of the open dishwasher door where bottles are standing fresh from the sanitizing step with the bottling wand at my right hand. Spaced cleared on the clean floor and caps in star san within reach of my left hand. Fill a bottle, then move it onto the floor and while filling the next one, set a cap on top of the first.

Then get them up to the counter in batches. Crimp and transfer into crates or cases and clean up.

I sanitize all that the top rack of my dishwasher will hold, fill, then cap. Rinse and repeat.

My gf usually helps me bottle, but if she is not around I try to have a friend over. Bottling alone is way more than twice the work of bottling with somebody else

Thank you all for the great advise I cannot wait to start, hoping for Tues. the 17th
I am going to try another batch this week after i Bottle.

I do batches of 12. Inspect for cleanliness, sanitize, fill, cap. Then the next batch of 12. When I'm done capping the last one I mark caps with sharpie, wipe bottles and put into boxes.

Back