Bottling with a plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khorn

Reaction score
This may be a naive question but I'm thinking about getting a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket and I was curious to know about the trub that will settle at the bottom. If I chose to bottle straight from the bucket (which I most likely would) will I get trub in my siphon or is the valve typically placed high enough to avoid this?

Thanks in advance for answering this basic question.
-Kyle

the bigger problem is how to thoroughly mix in the priming sugar without stirring up all the trub ;)

khorn - you could put a 2x4 under the bucket where the valve is so when the trub settles it will settle more toward the back of the bucket away from the valve

Most of what is in the pot at the end of my boil (hops, hot break and cold break) winds up in the fermenter. When my beers are done fermenting the trub is usually only 1 to 2 inches thick. I use yeasts that are known to be highly flocculant. I also allow plenty of time for the trub to settle and the beer to become very clear. Some heavies will get gelatin at the end of fermentation to help drop everything.

If I decide to bottle from the fermenter (I do it a lot) I add either sugar cubes or tabs to each bottle. Yes there is some trub in the spigot, but it is blown out after the first ounce or two is drained.

bosco

You're going to get trub bottling from a primary. There is no way not too, no matter how flocculent the yeast is.

If more sediment in the bottles is ok, don't worry about it. If you want a nice looking product with minimal sediment don't do it.

You're going to get trub bottling from a primary. There is no way not too, no matter how flocculent the yeast is.

If more sediment in the bottles is ok, don't worry about it. If you want a nice looking product with minimal sediment don't do it.

??? Like I stated above; Most of my beers are bottled directly from the fermenter once they are already clear or bright. Except for the last few bottles (I tip the fermenter to get as much out as I can) NO TRUB gets in the bottles. My carbonated and conditioned bottles have a very thin thin layer of sediment that isn't visible from the side only from the inside after I pour off the entire 12 ounces.

bosco

??? Like I stated above; Most of my beers are bottled directly from the fermenter once they are already clear or bright. Except for the last few bottles.

bosco

so they are clear except for the ones that aren't.
exactly what I said.

so they are clear except for the ones that aren't.
exactly what I said.

Out of 50-60 bottles from the fermenter only the last 3-4 get any bottom trub. I could leave it in the fermenter but I don't see the sense wasting any so I get right down to the bottom. Most people would rack less beer into a secondary or a bottling bucket than I manage to bottle from each batch.

bosco

Back