Bottling with a Kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieP

Reaction score
Hope this is a good spot to ask this question...

So I brewed an American Wheat on 4-22, I used Wyeast 2565. Primary: 21 days @ 60, Secondary: 7 days @ 65, 7 days to go from 65 to 45, then 7 day @ 45. I've never used a Kolsch yeast, and I bottle.
My question is, will I have any issues with not enough yeast in suspension, after that long of a secondary, to be able to bottle carbonate with just priming sugar?
I've also never bottled at that cool of a temp. After bottling will I need to allow this to come back up to room temp(70-72), or would it be better to move it to my basement at 63?
I'm fairly confident that "it's all good" but I will be bottling tomorrow and I figured it doesn't hurt to ask

Thanks for your advice in advance.

You shouldn't have any issues. Ive used the WLP 029 Kolsch a bunch of times. Some people advocate sucking up a little yeast trub with your bottling wand when you transfer to your bottling bucket after a long cold crash/lager. Ive done it both ways and it has carbed fine . The yeast are still very much alive.

Hey Wally,
Thanks for the reply. When I bottled this, I tried to leave all the yeast I could behind. I filled all the bottles and got called away for 30 min or so, I could see action in the bottles before I could get the caps put on!
It would appear I was just looking for things to worry about.
Cheers,
WillieP

Hey Wally,
Thanks for the reply. When I bottled this, I tried to leave all the yeast I could behind. I filled all the bottles and got called away for 30 min or so, I could see action in the bottles before I could get the caps put on!
It would appear I was just looking for things to worry about.
Cheers,
WillieP

I like Kolsch yeast (I use WLP 029) as it seems most forgiving. You can use it at Lager fermentation temps and be ok.

Back