Bottling, then using those bottles later for regular beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshmallowBlue

Reaction score
Hey folks.

Going to go ahead and bottle a sour brown that is rapidly approaching 2 years on the dregs. Obviously I'm going to re-yeast is but my question is about the bottles.

After brewing for a wedding, my supply of bottles took a critical hit, and only have about 50 on hand. Good for a 5 gallon batch. The sour is 3 gallons.

Am I able to use these bottles again for non-sour beer if I did an oxy-clean wash after (to remove labels at the same time), and rinse and star-san before use?

The good thing about glass beer bottles is that they cannot absorb flavors, crud, or bacteria. A good cleaning, rinsing, drying, and sanitizing just before bottling will negate any problems after the bottles have held a sour.

I figured as much as my lambic mead bottles have likely been used for beer without ill effect, just didn't want to lose a bunch of my bottles to sours only, which I would have just done (reserved for sours) if I didn't lose 100.

Thank you

i've been using my bottles interchangeably for clean, brett-only and sour beers with zero problems.

glass + PBW + star san = happy beer (and beer-drinkers).

Latest posts

Back