Bottling sugar on weird batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
I have a cream of three crops recipe that went interesting that i want to bottle now. The problem is I lost my paper with the recipe and og and all that. It's been fermenting in the primary since january 15, moving it to secondary soon to clean it up.
The issue is, I dont know how large the batch is and I triple grained the bill (didn't realize the grain would take up so much room in my pot on the stove that I had to pour out half the water to stop the thing from overflowing after it was already wet so it was tons of grain per amount of water)

Recipe calls for OG of 1.040 and FG of 1.005. My hydrometer broke since and I havent gotten to the LHBS yet, so I dont know the FG, but my OG was ~1.1, give or take .1 if i rememeber right. I took that original reading 4 months ago.

1. What would be an easy way to gauge the volume of the beer?

2. Based on the volume, how much sugar should I use in my bottling bucket for a batch that is very high gravity, and a weird volume? (IE is there a formula)

Are you using a bucket to ferment in? If so, they are normally marked. And without knowing how much volume you have, there is no way to know how much priming sugar you have.

I will be using a bucket but I dont think its marked. I will just use the volume of a cylinder formula and find it.

How much would 1 gallon be for priming sugar? ill then proportionally increase that once I find the volume. I will be using normal table sugar.

Since its a higher gravity of beer will I need more sugar? What's a good amount of sugar per gallon normally?

taintedplay said:
Since its a higher gravity of beer will I need more sugar? What's a good amount of sugar per gallon normally?

Since it is higher gravity it will take longer to carb. Use a carbing calculator to determine your sugar. It's typically around 1oz per gallon. My only concern would be, is the abv high enough that you killed your yeast?

Back