Bottling my first batch any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to sure if it's done fermenting. Can I tell if it is done by testing the sugar? I was just told wait two weeks.

is a good video to see if your beer is done fermenting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat...... I just brewed my 1st batch yesterday.

It was a kit beer. A British Brown. I bought it from a Brew Outlet & the owner was a total stoner. The instructions were totally backwards in spots.

I made a few mistakes.............. but overall............... I think I did good! We'll see in two weeks.

YouTube is a GREAT resource!

Bout to bottle my first batch of a fat tire style ale. Any advice for a first timer?

Two weeks is probably good, but it's best to follow the advice and make sure fermentation is done. If it tastes like flat beer, you are good to go. If it still tastes sugary or sweet, there is more fermentation to be done. It is recommended to use a hydrometer for original and final gravity readings to scientifically check when fermentation is complete, might be useful for your future batches.

For bottling, make sure all your bottles are clean and sanitized. After bottling, always remember that the longer they sit and carbonate/condition, the better. They always taste better after 3+ weeks sitting in bottles. But I recommend sampling one after one week, and another one after two weeks, just so you can see how the beer tastes if you open them too early. It helps you understand the process, and reminds you that waiting is important :)

Slyko, I'm sure your beer will turn out great. Just remember patience is a virtue :mug:

Back