bottling mead and cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btencate

Reaction score
to bottle mead and cider do I use the same bottles I bottle my beer in or can something else cheaper be used?

why would something cheaper be acceptable? do you not value your meads and ciders as much as your beers? all kidding aside, your beer bottles are perfectly fine, and i can't think of another vessel that would be cheaper. of course you *could* bottle all your beverages in soda pop bottles. they do hold pressure after all. those who are concerned about presentation often use a mead specific bottles.

I am going to bottle my 13gal Braggot into .750L clear wine bottles and cork them..Its a good thing the can secondary another month so I can use my tax rebate to buy 6 cases of wine bottles and a corker,,no $ for that venture.!!@!

We use wine bottles for all our mead.

For wine bottles, if you check your local big box store occasionally for deals on cheap crappy wine, the wine can be cheaper than buying empty bottles if your going to go the buying bottles route.

for example, we paid 1.70 per bottle of wine for like a dozen bottles the other day, I think a box of 12 empties is $20. So I guess the ****ty wine was free :)

SenorWanderer said:
of course you *could* bottle all your beverages in soda pop bottles. they do hold pressure after all. those who are concerned about presentation often use a mead specific bottles.

So what you are saying is that I could us 2ltr plastic bottles if I wanted? The only reason I can't use beer bottles is because they are all used up at the moment and I want to try a cider NOW :cross: I guess I just didn't think that the plastic soda bottles would hold the pressure good enough.

plastic soda bottles may not seal well. they also are oxygen permeable, so over time your mead and cider will go stale much faster than in a glass or PET bottle.

some beer makers use plastic soda bottles in a pinch, but beer hits peak drinking a lot faster than hard cider and especially mead.

btencate said:
So what you are saying is that I could us 2ltr plastic bottles if I wanted? The only reason I can't use beer bottles is because they are all used up at the moment and I want to try a cider NOW :cross: I guess I just didn't think that the plastic soda bottles would hold the pressure good enough.

Well, if you want to try a cider now, go ahead! You won't be bottling it for 6 months or so anyway, and if you're making a mead, you won't bottle for at least a year. So, that's plenty of time to collect some bottles!

Back