Bottling Joe's Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edenri

Reaction score
Okay, I'm almost 2 months in and I think I'm about ready to bottle? My question is, do I add anything to if first, such as campden or pot. sorbate? I'm not sure how sweet this stuff is now, but if I do want to sweeten is it difficult? As far as bottles go, are traditional wine bottles fine? Or maybe 375ml ones?

Basically any info from those who have bottled this stuff and their methods etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Eddy

wine bottles are fine. if you plan to sweeten, you either need non-fermentable sugar (lactose, or an artificial sweetner like splenda)...or you use campden/sorbate to nuke the yeast, then sweeten with sugar/honey/whatever.

if you sweeten, take a known volume (like 4oz) and carefully measure your sugar, and taste as you go til it's right. then do the math to convert to the remaining volume.
and stir gently...you don't want to oxidize it.

i like synthetic corks vs. real cork. no issues with drying out or crumbling.

edenri said:
Okay, I'm almost 2 months in and I think I'm about ready to bottle? My question is, do I add anything to if first, such as campden or pot. sorbate? I'm not sure how sweet this stuff is now, but if I do want to sweeten is it difficult? As far as bottles go, are traditional wine bottles fine? Or maybe 375ml ones?

Basically any info from those who have bottled this stuff and their methods etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Eddy

Mine was already super sweet, I bottled it in amber 16 oz flip top bottles. Making a couple more gallons this weekend.

Latest posts

Back