Bottling hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
I have been adding a quarter to a half ounce of hops to some of my beer 4 or 5 days before it is to be bottled.

In some batches the beer has been in the primary or secondary for a month or 6 weeks. The dry hops I usually add 7 days after brewing, but I am thinking why shouldn't the dry hops be added a certain number of days before bottling instead of a number after brewing.

Theoretically, philosophically, chemically, anthropologically and hermaphroditically, it may not make any difference. But it makes sense to me, and I think it keeps the aroma fresher.

Any thoughts?

I always go a week before bottling, and most certainly after all fermentation is complete. Give the fermenter a little shake first too, to shake off some of the dissolved CO2. Any CO2 being released will scrub aromatics, and hops offer a lot of nucleation sites to release dissolved it.

I always go a week before bottling, and most certainly after all fermentation is complete. Give the fermenter a little shake first too, to shake off some of the dissolved CO2. Any CO2 being released will scrub aromatics, and hops offer a lot of nucleation sites to release dissolved it.

Me too. Even with long primaries I just back track to a week before I intend to bottle.

Back