Bottling from the keg????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebrewersgrimm44

Reaction score
What is the best way to bottle from the keg and what is the possible potential for shelf life??

I use a bowie bottler - shelf life is just as long as any other bottled beer as long as your sanitation is good.

others use a blichman beer gun, or counter pressure filler

I have the bowie bottler and beer gun. I love both. i use the bottler for just filling a growler or bottle or two off the taps. The beergun is when I am bottling up most of the keg.

Cbaddad said:
I have the bowie bottler and beer gun. I love both. i use the bottler for just filling a growler or bottle or two off the taps. The beergun is when I am bottling up most of the keg.

Where can I get either one or both? Thanks for the help.

Here is how I do it which is based on the sticky in this section

Put clean/sanitized bottles in the freezer
Use a 14-16 inch beer line connected to a picnic tap
Use an extra bottling cane, remove the bottom valve and cut the bottom to an angle
Turn Co2 down to about 1psi
Bleed off all Co2 from the keg
Insert the cane into the picnic tap
Fill about 6 bottles at a time and cap

Each bottle takes about 20 seconds to fill

Super easy
Toy4Rick

On this same subject...are there any problems with filling properly sanitized bottles right from my corny keg tap and then the beer staying properly carbonated in the bottle after it is sealed?
My friends and I that have started brewing all grain are kegging the beer but also want to easily fill some bottles for takeaway or to give out.
Just wanted to make sure the beer would stay fresh in the bottle.
Thoughts?

I don't use anything special at all. I just turn off the gas, vent the keg a little bit, rinse the bottles, leave a little bit of water in the bottles, chill the bottles, pour strait from tap into bottle. Once you get the pressure right, you can fill all the way to the top with little to no foam. Simple is better.

On this same subject...are there any problems with filling properly sanitized bottles right from my corny keg tap and then the beer staying properly carbonated in the bottle after it is sealed?

You're always going to lose some carbonation during the bottling process, but if done properly it's pretty minimal. Once bottled though, the carbonation will stay the same until it's opened. There's also a risk of some oxidation, but that too can be minimized.

"You're always going to lose some carbonation during the bottling process"

+1

The "trick" is to just slightly overcarb your beer. You lose a little in the transfer and to head space, and that will bring you back down to your desired level.

Here is how I do it which is based on the sticky in this section

Put clean/sanitized bottles in the freezer
Use a 14-16 inch beer line connected to a picnic tap
Use an extra bottling cane, remove the bottom valve and cut the bottom to an angle
Turn Co2 down to about 1psi
Bleed off all Co2 from the keg
Insert the cane into the picnic tap
Fill about 6 bottles at a time and cap

Each bottle takes about 20 seconds to fill

Super easy
Toy4Rick

Easiest way to do it. I've been doing this for quite a while with no issues, I do the same for growlers. I'm even lazier though, I bottle straight out of my kegerator at about 5 psi and it doesn't foam at all. They fill up a lot faster too.

I don't use anything special at all. I just turn off the gas, vent the keg a little bit, rinse the bottles, leave a little bit of water in the bottles, chill the bottles, pour strait from tap into bottle. Once you get the pressure right, you can fill all the way to the top with little to no foam. Simple is better.

That's exactly how I do it and the quality seems as good for as beers that I have bottled. It really depends on how well your sanitation is and how you're bottling from the tap - if your PSI is low and you're not oxidizing the beer during the process you should be fine.

Back