Bottling from Onederbrew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycuff

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a newbie to the forum. Learned via Mr. Beer but have since been making my own extracts. I now have a onederbrew with the first batch underway. I will start sampling after a week. I guess I will bottle and use less priming sugar, depending how carbonated it seems when it comes out. Satisfied with the product so far. Seems well made for the price.

Week Later:

Update and a few questions. Had a party and basically served it after just one week of fermentation. So it had cold crashed for a day prior to the party, and we drank maybe 40% of it last night. It was a "northern brewer" brown ale kit, very good but probably would have been better with more time. I did not take an initial or final gravity. Today, one day after the party, pressure has dropped from 12 psi to just under 5. I can easily bottle the rest as it is lightly carbonated at this point. I have not harvested any yeast and it remains with the other sediment in the tip of the cone.

My questions: Should I add priming sugar to the bottles? I would think yes otherwise the beer will likely be flat. Do I need to (and can I) wake the yeast back up by bringing the onderbrew back to room temp? Should I shake the container to get some of it back in suspension, then bottle it and leave at room temp for another two weeks?

Failing any advice, my plan is:

1. Remove from fridge, gently flip and rotate the container to get the yeast out of the bottom tip of the cone.
2. Allow the sediment to mostly re-settle, but just for a couple hours. Beer will no longer be in the fridge and getting warmer, but will still be cold.
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon of priming sugar to each bottle (and this is less than then the 3/4 tsp I have used in the past)
4. Cap the bottles and give it a try in 2 weeks.

I am thinking the yeast will wake up when it gets warmer and will then have new sugars in the bottle to eat for carbonation. I am worried that without getting the yeast off the bottom of the cone it will not be present in sufficient quantity to convert the sugar in the bottle.

Posting also on the existing onederbrew thread. Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated!
Mike

Answering most of my own questions. Based on everything I have read today, enough yeast should still remain in suspension that I don't need to do anything to agitate it and doing so will in fact just give me more sediment in my bottles. I will therefore add priming sugar and bottle today. The beer is a little carbonated, so I worry that I maybe should add a little less priming sugar than usual. Guess that is my only question. I am going from the onederbrew direct to bottle, so will have to add to each bottle (3/4 tsp is the usual).

Back