Bottling from Keg for Long Term Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout that I put into a keg. I then decided that I want to bottle a few bombers as gifts and hopefully keep a couple for aging in my cellar. I followed the technique of slightly over-carving (13 PSI), and then dropping to 3 PSI for bottling. I filled the bottle slowly from the tap until foam was coming from the top, and then I quickly pressed the cap onto the thick foam. Once the foam has settled inside the bottle, there is about 1.5" of headspace.

Will this bottle be safe for long term storage, or should it be consumed within a week (like a growler fill)? I would really like to hold back a couple bottles for verticals if I make this an annual brew. Also, would waxing the top help at all? I image that wouldn't make much difference... if the oxygen has already gotten in, that would be the problem. What do you think?

Back