Bottling from a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icantbejon

Reaction score
Used the beer gun today, and realized after the fact that I didn't have the slightest idea on how to properly use it. So my question is this. If I bottle from a cool keg, do I have to keep them cold from this point on? Will there be any negative affects from going back to room temp?

I suspect there would be an adverse affect, but let's see if anyone can answer......

icantbejon said:
Used the beer gun today, and realized after the fact that I didn't have the slightest idea on how to properly use it. So my question is this. If I bottle from a cool keg, do I have to keep them cold from this point on? Will there be any negative affects from going back to room temp?

Cold will help the beer last longer. Any reason you want to warm it up?

No reason you cant. Just dunno why you would.

The beer is not pasteurized (I assume), so the rules are slightly different. In general, it will "go bad" faster if its warm and the warmer it is, the worse it is. With that being said, its not a fast process by any means. If its room temp, it should still last a few months if its a lighter beer or many months if its higher ABV. Don't let it get above room temp and it should last you "long enough".

The bigger issue in my mind with bottling from a keg is oxygen exposure. If you use a beer gun properly, you probably minimized it, so that's good. In my experience of bottling from kegs, they NEVER last as long as direct bottling. Between oxygen exposure and loss of pressure (there's always some), they always start tasting less fresh sooner.

In my experience of bottling from kegs, they NEVER last as long as direct bottling. Between oxygen exposure and loss of pressure (there's always some), they always start tasting less fresh sooner.

Interesting. So, if I wanted to give some coworkers a few bottles of brew as a gift - should I target bottling the beer a week or so before I give it to them?

What causes beer to go bad in the bottle is usually one of two things. Light making it skunk out, or oxygen which can oxidize or allow bacteria growth. If the gun is used properly to force air out and inject co2 instead, then minimizing light exposure should let your beer keep for quite a while.

That said, refrigerating it can't hurt either because this also slows bacteria growth in the bottle.

If your friends have trouble drinking gift beer quick enough then maybe you need new friends or different gifts. :)

Back