Bottling from a keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bckyrdkid420

Reaction score
So I have a beer in a corny getting cold in my keezer for the past 2 days, but have not put air to it yet. I wanted to hook up the air tonight and bottle a couple beers from it (using carb drops).
My question is, will it still carb even though the beer is cold? (ie: is the yeast dormant or dead?)
also, If I can do this, will it be best to leave the bottles at room temp for a month or will it screw it up from going from warm to cold (and eventually back to cold?)

Thanks in advance!

I would carb the beer in the keg and bottle out of the keg once carbed. Why do you want to use the drops?

Assume you mean CO2, not "air".

I'd tap and fill a your bottles leaving the obligatory air space, drop in a tab, cap, let sit room temp for about two weeks to carb up, refrigerate, then enjoy!

It will take forever to carb up cold and no, going from cold to room temp, and then back to cold will not cause any issue (IMO).

Cheers!

wasn't to sure how long a beer will stay carbed in a bottle after using a make-shift beer gun (which I use to fill growlers). Wanted the beers for a contest this summer.

I would carb the beer in the keg and bottle out of the keg once carbed. Why do you want to use the drops?

+1. you can carb faster and have a more clear beer bottling from the keg. but to answer op's question - yes you can

wasn't to sure how long a beer will stay carbed in a bottle after using a make-shift beer gun (which I use to fill growlers). Wanted the beers for a contest this summer.

Maybe do a couple extra each way and test it for us. Do some now with the drops and a few later with the beer gun once the keg is carbed. I would be very interested in hearing the results if you did.

Back