Bottling Equipment Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batona

Reaction score
After investigating, I have decided to forgo kegging for the time being. With a batch of pale ale in the fermenter, I have some immediacy to getting my bottling situation settled.

I did not choose to purchase a basic kit from the LHBS as I was still looking into kegging and also wanted to leave open the door for upgrading the bottling equipment if I went that way. As I address the equipment requirements, I am wondering if the regulars here who bottle have any thoughts about equipment that will make bottling more pleasant.

Siphon: It seems like most recommend an auto siphon. Is there anything in particular one should look for when purchasing one? Is a wider tube preferred? Are there differences in racking canes?

I am a bit confused by these. Looking at Northern's site I see the Fermtech Auto Siphon. If I purchased that, is that all I need? The siphon goes into the fermenter/secondary and the hose just dangles into the secondary/bottling bucket? I do see that a clamp is necessary too.

Bottling Bucket: Pretty straightforward, eh?

Bottle Filler: This is not included in the basic set at my LHBS. Are there differences between fillers? The little I have found indicates the spring-loaded filler may be the less "leaky". Is that what you have found?

Bottles: My inclination is to use 22 oz. bottles. I do not have empties around so will be purchasing bottles. Are there better bottles than others?

Caps: No difference in product?

Capper: From everything I can tell, the Emily is a PITA capper. I imagine most recommend a bench capper. Is there a particular one that is recommended?

Bottling Tree: Does the size of the bottle being used affect using a tree? I don't think I'll bottle more than a 5-gallon batch at a time (at least not initially) so I would think a 45-bottle tree is adequate if the size of the bottle doesn't make a difference.

Priming Sugar: Anything I should be concerned about here?

Sanitizers: I have seen some talk about a wallpapering tray to sanitize bottles and equipment. That looks like a good system. I have also seen injectors. Do these work well? It also seems like the dishwasher is a suitable alternative, although my dw does not have a sanitizing cycle. I am leaning toward an injector and bottle tree.

Is there anything else that you recommend? Should I have back up equipment (hoses perhaps) just in case?

I do appreciate all the help I have received with my questions and in my searches. This site has been a wonderful resource!

Siphon: I have an autosiphon. Kind of wish I hadn't gotten it, not as great at it seemed at first. Look at the DIY section for a much cheaper alternative.

Bottle Filler: Spring loaded all the way!

Bottles: 22oz is a lot of beer, you may not want all that in one sitting. I use a mix, mostly 12oz.

Caps: Some advertise that they absorb oxygen, and are more expensive. I don't know if this is a big deal unless you are storing for a long time.

Capper: yes, get bench top, the hand kind are a PITA

Bottle tree: I use a baby gate (it was for my dog) laid across the bath tub. Cost nothing and works great.

Priming: Dextrose works, some like DME better

Sanitizing: I use my bottling bucket almost exclusively

Siphon - just learn to start one manually
I second the spring loaded bottle filler
Caps - I use over-runs mostly as cheaper, never had issues with leaks
Capper - bench top absolutely!
Bottle tree - for 5gal you will need about 50 12oz bottles
Sanitizer - I love my injector type. I can sanitize 52 bottles in about 5 minutes

I personally love the autosiphon. In fact, if mine ever breaks I'll buy another (probably the larger 1/2" one. You can use your dishwasher racks as a bottle tree if you have one. I second the pump style sanitizer. It's about $12 and called the Vinator.

Siphon: Don't waste the money on an auto Siphon. Fill your racking cane and tube with water! Easier and faster. They also don't loose suction.

Bottling Bucket: grin

Bottle Filler: Spring Loaded unless you ENJOY cleaning up the sticky kitchen floor

Bottles: 12oz is the better way to go. You can always open another beer. You can't re seal one without oxidation.

Caps: All the same

Capper: Unless you plan on bottling for a LONG time. The 2 lever cappers are not that big of a deal. It takes a few caps to get used to it, but you can crank em out fast and if you screw up a cap....they are about .001 cents each!

Bottling Tree: Use the rack in your dishwasher

Priming Sugar: CORN SUGAR

Sanitizers: Pick up some Star San no rinse San solution. Makes life easy! and you don't have to soak for 2 min 1st, just fill bottle with liquid and pour out. Place in rack and done.

Is there anything else that you recommend? Keep some towles around till you get the hang of it....and a large bowl for starting the Siphon (think draining the hose of the water and starting bottling once the BEER is filling the hose.)

I'm still pretty new, but I've found the best thing for bottling is to get a friend to help. Much quicker as a two person job (we do one person filling and one capping and boxing). Batch will yield one less six pack as payment, but worth it.

After just one batch of bottling, I bought a tap-a-draft mini kegging system. It consists of a few 6 litre bottles with a CO2 charged dispensing system. The tapped bottles easily fit on the smallest shelf of my fridge, and the whole system cost $60. After drinking the first batch, I just bought a second system.

Although not for everyone, I found it a great solution for me. Filling up three bottles is sure a lot easier than filling 50!

I would love to get a full keg system, and likely will within a year or two. This setup has taken the edge off of waiting for then. :tank:

Siphon: Had two autosiphons with the equip I bought on Craig's list. Never liked them. Prefer a racking cane and tubing. Easy, foolproof and easy to clean.

Bottling Bucket:
BottleFillinSideView.jpg

Yes, no doubt about it.

Bottle Filler: Mine is spring loaded and it never leaks.

Bottles: I started with 22 oz, sold them and went to 12 oz. Sometimes I just want a 12. Sometimes I want more and when I do, I get a fresh 12 rather than the 22 that has gotten warm and flat.

Caps: A cap is a cap is a cap unless you are doing barleywines, strongs or any other that will be aged and then I would use oxygen barrier caps.

Capper: I had both a wing capper and a bench capper with my equip purchase. I am an odd duck I guess, I prefer the wing capper. Black Beauty.

Bottling Tree:
BottleTreeSanitizer.jpg

Nuff said.

Priming Sugar: Corn Sugar.

Sanitizers: I use StarSan.

You might want to consider 16 oz. plastic PETE bottles. My LHBS sells a case for $17.50 and the caps for $3.50 or you could buy a case of them full of Miller Lite for $26.

And the caps are reusable 3-4 times.

Another thing you could do while you are building up an inventory of bottles is reuse soda pop bottles any of them from 8 oz. up to 3 liters. Just be sure and keep them out of the light. Here again the bottle caps are reuseable.

As far as the pressure washer goes if you'll rinse your bottles out after you finish using them you won't need it. Even if you don't you can soak your bottles in Oxyclean for a day or so then just rinse them out. This also loosens up the lables to the point where they just fall off.

I also know a guy that reuses twist-off bottles and caps he just twists them back on.

If you've got to buy your bottles, bottle capper, bottling bucket and other accessories, I would give serious consideration to spending that money on a kegging setup instead. But in the long run you'll probably want to do both bottling and kegging.

Latest posts

Back