Bottling directly from the fermenter...any reasons why I shouldn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btbartlett

Reaction score
Pro: The way I see it, if I could bottle direct from the fermenter straight to the bottle (using carb tabs), that would leave my bottling bucket available to be used as another fermenter and I can start working on another batch ASAP.

Cons: ???

thats is what i do ones in a while. you be ok, just wach out and try not to get to much of settlement in the bottles.

It's a pain trying to start and stop your siphon and not suck up trub.

Carb tabs are more expensive than corn sugar.

You can just get a new primary and leave your bottling bucket as a bottling bucket.

Spigots can harbor bacteria no matter how well you clean them. Usually isn't a problem in bottling, but since the beer will sit on it longer if you use it as a primary, it can invite trouble.

You asked for reasons, so there's a few.

Its not a pain in the neck if you use a racking cane with a spring loaded valve on it. Ones you start siphoning you are all set to go, because that valve will hold "green beer" from going back to the fermenter. I newer had a problem if iam doing it this way.

Cons- Cloudy Beer. Improper Mixing of sugar and beer leading to inconsistant carbing. Possible oxidation of beer while trying to mix priming solution and beer. Frustration.

Is that enough for you? :D

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy..which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

bottling_wand.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

But if you try directly from the primary/secondary you will have unsatisfactory results and possibly even cardboard tasting beer.

:mug:

He is using carbtabs. When my primary is empty I transfer the beer in it from secondary leaving most of the crap behind, than I take some yeast and after I wash it sanitasing it also. I put I spigot on my pramery bucket fermentor. Its a primary and bottling bucket in one. You can mix sugar or LDME in this way before you bottle.

I've bottled cider straight from a fermentor. You don't need to start and stop the siphon if you have a bottling wand on the other end of the siphon.

The con of using a bottling bucket as a primary is if you accidently turn the tap open while it's full.

I've bottled several batches directly from the fermenter using carb tabs. It works just fine. Be sure to keep the siphon tube slightly above the trub layer.

Revvy, it pays to RTFQ before posting a diatribe.

I've bottled several batches directly from the fermenter using carb tabs. It works just fine. Be sure to keep the siphon tube slightly above the trub layer.

Revvy, it pays to RTFQ before posting a diatribe.

"Diatribe" that's really nice coming from a mod....I WAS only trying to be helpful. And I only posted an answer I have posted countless times before. Yes I missed the part about carb tabs...But I guess I'm not allowed to make a mistake on occasion.....

Thanks Yuri...

Thanks everyone! In the long term I think I will stick to using a bottling bucket, but for this batch I may try the tabs.

For a little background on my predicament: I've got my first batch that I have brewed in years in bottles right now with another new batch in the fermenter. Problem is that I have 72+ empty 22oz bottles sitting in my basement and an empty bucket so I am getting a little antsy. I would like to maximize my output until I get some beer hitting my lips. Its tough to Relax and Not Worry when I have no Home Brew.

Now the question is, should I get the Muntons tabs or the Coopers? Muntons seems to be more versatile (can experiment with more or less tabs) but I have seen some bad reviews (don't dissolve completely, don't work at all, etc.). The Coopers seem simpler and have better reviews, however they are a bit more expensive. Any thoughts?

I've only used Coopers, but they worked great. Dissolved completely. I've heard Muntons leave floaters in your beer.

But... I would recommend just getting another primary fermenter and then using your bottling bucket to bottle with regular corn sugar. Especially if you're going to have to go and get the carb tabs anyway. Just pick up a fermenter instead. Then you can keep brewing as often as you want. :D

Back