Bottling Cold or at Room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sergiocampi

Reaction score
Guys,
Just finishing my cold crashing of a Belgian Golden Ale and now moving to the bottling time.
Question is?

1-) Should I bottle cold and prime with the regular amount of sugar recommended at this temperature ~around 70 grams?
or
2) Should I let the beer warm to room temperature before bottling and priming with regular amount of sugar recommended for the style? ~170grams?

Thanks,
Sergio

Guys,
Just finishing my cold crashing of a Belgian Golden Ale and now moving to the bottling time.
Question is?

1-) Should I bottle cold and prime with the regular amount of sugar recommended at this temperature ~around 70 grams?
or
2) Should I let the beer warm to room temperature before bottling and priming with regular amount of sugar recommended for the style? ~170grams?

Thanks,
Sergio

I'm not good with grams (undereducated old American), but I would use 4.5-5 ounces of corn sugar for a 5 (us) gallon batch, about 19 liters. 170 grams sure seems like bottle bomb territory, and I think 5 ounces is about 140 grams, not 170 grams.

It doesn't matter if you bottle it warm or cold. I would do it cold, just so it's done faster. Then let it sit at 70 degrees (21 C) to carbonate.

Guys,
Question is?

or

Thanks,
Sergio

You want to base the temperature on the MAX temperature the beer was during or after fermentation. Cold liquids dissolve more gas than warm, which is why the colder temp has you using less sugar than the warmer. The CO2 that can be dissolved in the beer, however, is only produced during fermentation, so cold crashing temp should NOT be used to determine the amount of priming sugar. To put it another way, your maximum amount of CO2 that remains dissolved in the beer is based on the maximum temperature, because new CO2 was not being produced during your cold crashing, so you shouldn't base your priming amount on the temperature of cold crashing. Since new CO2 is not being produced and dissolved in the beer during cold crashing, use the max temp during or after fermentation for your determination.

Thanks guys! Will than follow the recommended amount from brewers' friend calculator based on the fermentation temperature even though bottling it cold.
Appreciate the support.

Latest posts

Back