Bottling Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
So I don't have a specific bucket just for bottling. Would it be okay to dissolve my priming sugar in water, pour that into my fermentor, stir, and then attach a bottling wand to my auto siphon and siphon into my bottles? Or put the priming sugar dissolved into water in my carboy, siphon my beer in my fermentor into my carboy, and then bottle from the carboy the same way as the first example? Which should I do? Thanks everyone!

You can bottle by siphon but you should have a clamp of some kind on the end of the siphon to easily stop the flow between bottles. I would put the priming solution in the carboy, rack on top of it, then bottle via siphon from the carboy....then go buy bottling bucket :), even a HD 5 gallon bucket is fine for bottling, you can add the valve yourself.

You mention you have a bottling wand? If you've got one with the tip that stops the flow when you pull the wand out of the bottle you should be okay - but I'd heed helibrewer's advice and add the hose clamp as a 'just in case.' I.E. 'just in case' you need to wash up a few more bottles at the end, or 'just in case' you need to open another homebrew to enjoy while doing the bottling... :D

The bucket would be super easy to put together... and think you'll find it to be a nice piece of equipment to have on hand.

Have fun...

I'd really recommend using a bottling bucket - it makes the job so much easier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

If you decide to make your own, I'd be cautious about the hardware buckets - they may not be food safe, or at least may leave a plastic odor in your beer. At least stay away from the dark colored ones - go with white or translucent - I have some Lowe's "Mix n' Measure" buckets I use for water which according to the manufacturer's web site (as of a couple of years ago) are made of virgin HDPE with no recycled content. A better choice might be to check a bakery or grocery store bakery dept. to see if they have empty buckets that contained cake icing that they would give you.

I wouldn't try to bottle from a primary. You don't want to stir up all the yeast and trub at the bottom or it will end up in your bottles.

You should rack to something - a carboy or bucket. For the price, it really is hard to beat a bottling bucket. It just makes your day so much easier.

Back