bottling bucket - swamp cooler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemet

Reaction score
I want to start fermenting in my bottling bucket- but it has a spigot. Can you submerge the spigot in a swamp cooler and not worry about contamination at all?

Additionally, what about the mr beer 2 gallon fermenter? Can that be submerged past the spigot as well?

Thanks in advance :p

As long as the spigot is closed that shouldn't be an issue. Sanitation on the other hand could be a little more difficult to maintain. Begs the question why? Want your primary for another batch? Might be easier to go buy a bucket from Home Depot.

There is no problem for the fermentation time, but I wouldn't use the spigot once you're done. I leave my fermenter in a water bath for 3 weeks and when I'm done, the fermenter is all slimy. That would be bad for the beer if you'd use the spigot.

So there's no problem in submerging the bottling bucket for the entire fermentation?

I plan on siphoning to keg afterwards so not worried about sanitation of the spigot, just leaks. The seal is very strong and liquid doesn't leak out. Thanks!

So there's no problem in submerging the bottling bucket for the entire fermentation?
You seem to have your mind made up, but I would say no effing way. You're putting the cost of a batch at risk - let's say, $35 or so - because you don't want to buy a proper fermentation bucket which can be $5 if you're cheap, or $15 at the LHBS. There's an old saying "penny wise and pound foolish" that seems to apply.

I plan on siphoning to keg afterwards so not worried about sanitation of the spigot, just leaks. The seal is very strong and liquid doesn't leak out. Thanks!
OK, if you don't plan on using the spigot EVER AGAIN, fine. You're never going to get the moldy scummy residue out of every nook and cranny in the spigont and ball valve assembly. But it's your call. Good luck!

You seem to have your mind made up, but I would say no effing way. You're putting the cost of a batch at risk - let's say, $35 or so - because you don't want to buy a proper fermentation bucket which can be $5 if you're cheap, or $15 at the LHBS. There's an old saying "penny wise and pound foolish" that seems to apply.

How would I be putting the batch be at risk? If there's no liquid leaking out, why would liquid leak in? The seal is airtight, plus I thought about wrapping it with saran and rubberbands to be extra safe.

And not all spigots have ball valves. Mine are more like a hole on one side of the shaft that has a strainer on it. The Italian kind anyway. The only part exposed is the spout & one side of the valve shaft. Spray inside & out with starsan & then hit it with my small diameter aquarium lift tube brush. Spray again & let it drip out.
Not one infection yet. I'd also tend to think that a splash of starsan in the cooling water should be a no brainer. We put it in our blow off jugs' water,so why not here too?!

Update: I didnt do it! I purchased more carboys etc. Its not worth the risk. Period! My time, my price for the ingredients, and then to potentially lose it- not worth it

And not all spigots have ball valves. Mine are more like a hole on one side of the shaft that has a strainer on it. The Italian kind anyway. The only part exposed is the spout & one side of the valve shaft. Spray inside & out with starsan & then hit it with my small diameter aquarium lift tube brush. Spray again & let it drip out.
Not one infection yet. I'd also tend to think that a splash of starsan in the cooling water should be a no brainer. We put it in our blow off jugs' water,so why not here too?!

You've never had a problem fermenting in the bottling bucket that's submerged in water? Do you cover the spigot with anything? I want to be sure it's safe, otherwise I'll grab another bucket. Thanks

Are you talking about taking the spigot off and turning around? Just goto bakery at grocery store get free food grade frosting buckets. I have a whole bunch of them! Plus they are great for storage.

I use bottling buckets in swamp coolers to ferment all of my batches.

I put a ziploc bag over the spigot secured with rubber bands.

Keeps the spigot dry and no infections.

It's really not that complicated.

I just found this thread, and yes it is a bit dated. I would like to know the purpose of fermenting in a water bath?

Back