Bottling Brett (w/o priming sugar) BEFORE it reaches stable FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know everyone says to bottle beer once your FG has become stable for a few days...but I was wondering if:

Has anyone ever tried to bottle a Brett beer (or any beer in general) WITHOUT ADDING PRIMING SUGAR...BEFORE it reaches FG and allow the brett to reach FG within the bottles? Basically the Brett will be carbonating the bottle (champagne bottles) without the aid of any priming sugar...

For example:
I just brewed a Dubbel :rockin: and used a mixed yeast blend (Wyeast 3789-PC) of Sacch and Brett during primary...the Sacch finished primary fermentation at 1.015 and now the Brett is getting to work. It is now down to 1.011. I expect the Brett to finish anywhere from 1.000 to 1.004. Can I bottle and allow the Brett to carbonate the bottles? Any issues I might experience other than bottle bombs?

Thanks for the info! :mug:

^ Correct. Thats unpredictable at best and each bottle could be different. I've primed with brett quite a few times and the only 2 methods I use is to either add priming sugar of some kind or to back blend a little bit of younger beer. The blending part however takes alot of trial and error so its harder on a homebrew scale.

The Duvel brewery does exactly that but I wouldn't recommend it as a Homebrewer. It's a little different when you've made the same beer a thousand times and know exactly how far the Brett is gonna take it.

Back