bottling barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonstewartstwin

Reaction score
barley wine has been in secondary for three months...do i add 5oz priming sugar to 5 gallons brew before bottling? do i need to pitch more yeast? thx

What is the ABV? What kind of yeast did you use initially? If the yeast has a high enough alcohol tolerance, you should be fine. And IMHO, 5 oz in 5 gal is a little high for a barley wine. I might cut it down to 4 (or 4.5 considering it will have to sit in bottles for quite some time before it's ready to drink).

1. Yes
2. No, but you can to insure viable yeast in the bottle

I agree with using less priming sugar. 4 oz should do the trick. Remember a barleywine can take months to carb up even with fresh yeast pitched at bottling.

not sure about the yeast... the recipe called for champagne yeast, and the guy at the brew store advised against... how long is yeast viable? if i need to repitch (after being off the trub for 2 months), how much yeast would I add for bottling? I'm guessing not the same amount as for primary fermenting... thanks

Latest posts

Back