bottling at sea level then transporting to 7k

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azbrewboy77

Reaction score
just curious ,I brewed a blue moon clone all grain & I'm going to bottle 1 case then fill a 3 gal keg to take with me up to co, i use primer tabs for the bottles . i know when you take plastic water bottles they expand or contract , is there a risk of exploding bottles ?

no problem, it's another 3 psi of pressure delta bottle to atmosphere... nothing to worry about if you don't make bottle bombs to begin with

yah, as long as you're not making over pressured bombs you'll be fine. My buddy has a ball lock QD you can put on a soda bottle. Whatever doesn't fit in the keg he puts in a 2 liter bottle and shoots it full of c02 to force carbonate it. We've never had any issues with exploding plastic bottles.

I have a lot of experience with this. I have even more experience in reverse -- bottling at 7k and drinking at sea level. There definitely is a difference in perceived carbonation level, but my bottle bombs explode the same in either location. If I bottle a beer a little too flat, I try to drink it with altitude; too gushy, with the flatlanders.

Back