Bottling Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoke101

Reaction score
Hi, I just started into brewing and decided to start with Edworts Apfelwein for my first attempt, when it is done in a month or perhaps a little longer, how do I go about bottling the apfelwein?

Hi, I just started into brewing and decided to start with Edworts Apfelwein for my first attempt, when it is done in a month or perhaps a little longer, how do I go about bottling the apfelwein?
Bottling bucket, racking tube/hose, bottling wand, sufficient number of bottles/caps, and a capper (or swing-top bottles).....sanitize all equipment. Siphon from fermentor into bottling bucket, siphon into bottles with bottling wand attached to hose, cap bottles, clean up, done. If you plan on bottle carbed, you need to add appropriate amount of priming sugar, mixed gently and thoroughly to batch in bottling bucket, and BE SURE it is truly done fermenting before bottling...

This may be a stupid question..but how can I be sure it is truly done fermenting? I dont want to bottle and have them blow.

A sure fire way would be to take a gravity reading, then take another a few days later. If the gravity stays the same, you know it's done. Apfelwein ferments dry at under 1.000.

If you follow EdWorts directions properly, then you can rest assured it will be done fermenting in a month. I've always let mine sit for a month or two before bottling. Never took a reading, never had an issue.

Back