Bottling and salvaging yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
I just want to be sure I understand the process of bottling and salvaging yeast for the next batch since I have not yet done this.

So I transfer my beer from my primary fermenter to my bottling bucket (I won't be using secondary fermenter). When I do this, I leave behind a decent yeast/traub patty. However, when I transferred the beer, there was still enough yeast in suspension that it should be sufficient for carbonating the bottles right? At the same time, I can then go back and collect my yeast from my primary and store it in the fridge until my next batch??

I am going to be doing this with a Hefeweizen so I expect that the yeast doesn't settle out nearly as much as in other beers, but I'd be curious to hear this this same process works for other beers as well, or do you have to add yeast before bottling?

My primary question is just to be sure I am correct with the above process, then I'd be curious to hear if this runs true for other beers as well.
I appreciate the information.

So I transfer my beer from my primary fermenter to my bottling bucket (I won't be using secondary fermenter). When I do this, I leave behind a decent yeast/traub patty. However, when I transferred the beer, there was still enough yeast in suspension that it should be sufficient for carbonating the bottles right? At the same time, I can then go back and collect my yeast from my primary and store it in the fridge until my next batch??

That's exactly what you do. I have several mason pint-sized jars in the fridge of washed (read: free!) yeast.

IMO if you brew, you're crazy not to do this. Of course, I also tend to brew a lot of the same style of beer. If you are the type to brew an IPA, a lager, a honey ale, a stout, followed by a hefe, you're going to have to plan things out pretty carefully.

Back