Bottling and kegging at the same time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkbo

Reaction score
Is is possible to prime as if for bottling, bottle a few, keg the rest, let it carbonate in the keg then dispense under lower pressure. I know i'd get sediment in the beer...

Yes. It's called keg conditioning. As long as you let the keg get cold for at least a week after it is carbed, and DONT MOVE IT, you will only have a few cloudy pours. Personally, I force carb 10 gallons that I kegged, and used priming tabs for the 2 gallons that I bottle of each batch. It's just easier and cleaner for me.

Also, you'd want to dispense at the correct pressure for the carbonation of the beer.

snaps10 said:
Yes. It's called keg conditioning. As long as you let the keg get cold for at least a week after it is carbed, and DONT MOVE IT, you will only have a few cloudy pours. Personally, I force carb 10 gallons that I kegged, and used priming tabs for the 2 gallons that I bottle of each batch. It's just easier and cleaner for me.

Also, you'd want to dispense at the correct pressure for the carbonation of the beer.

snaps10 - I brewed my first batch last Saturday. English Bitter Ale.
I bought an Avanti-1-7-Cubic-Dispenser from staples for $199. A good deal on a close out.
Mini kegs and CO2 show up Friday. So I want fill 3 kegs, 4 liters and 12 oz bottles for the rest.
2 minis will be in frig and one in storage. Do I need priming sugar in the minis?
I know have have to do a math problem to add or plus up the sugar when I switch to bottles.
Need to know if I am at 0% for minis or 33% as I read in some places.

If it was me I'd force carb the kegs, and use carb drops for the bottles. Put the first keg on CO2 after it is full of beer and purge all of the O2 out of it by pulling the pressure release tab for a few seconds. Do the same with the second. Set the first aside and put the other in the fridge. The third I'd purge, then set the CO2 to the desired PSI for 2 weeks, keeping it hooked up to the regulator. (I typically keep mine at 12PSI. It's close enough for most styles). Is your CO2 regulator a double or single? I'm not familiar with that kegerator.

No priming sugar is needed for the kegs if they are force carbonated. Your beer can age nicely in the kegs as long as you first purge the O2 out of them.

The Avanti kegerator holds 2 kegs at a time. Only one is on the CO2. It is a single regulator system. I have not 9 oz CO2 bottles. I think I will connect them to the keg and force carbonate it each one at a time. Then place the final two in the kegerator and get them cold. Force carbonation can be done while it's warm right?

Thx.

Snaps10

I brewed the beer on Saturday 29 December I forgot to take an OG reading. I took one tonight and it was 1.10. Is there any basic value I can assume the OG would've been to do my calculations?

You need to let your co2 die down in whatever your sample is in before taking a reading. Unless you brewed an absolutely giant beer 1.100 is way high.

You want to force carb cold. CO2 is more readily absorbed at low temps. Force carb two in the fridge, then pull one out and replace it. You can store it out if the cold as long as it doesn't get too hot.

Is is possible to prime as if for bottling, bottle a few, keg the rest, let it carbonate in the keg then dispense under lower pressure. I know i'd get sediment in the beer...

That's what I do. Siphon from primary to the bottling bucket. Prime for the entire amount. Then I keg 10 liters and bottle the rest. I am unable to get the spear off my mini keg, so I have to fill it up blind. Using a bottling bucket with markings is a great help.

You need to let your co2 die down in whatever your sample is in before taking a reading. Unless you brewed an absolutely giant beer 1.100 is way high.

You want to force carb cold. CO2 is more readily absorbed at low temps. Force carb two in the fridge, then pull one out and replace it. You can store it out if the cold as long as it doesn't get too hot.

I'm willing to bet he meant 1.01. Otherwise we're talking barley wine.

Carbonating is about temperature, volume, and pressure. If you correctly adjust the pressure higher to compensate for a higher temperature, the keg will carb in the same time. Simple science. As you chill it back down, the CO2 in the headspace will move into the liquid to maintain equilibrium.

Yeah, I'm sure he did. I was in "heading out for another overnight shift of saving the world one crack whore and meth head at a time" mode and not thinking straight.

I only instructed carbing cold because with one regulator, and his first go with kegging and all this new equipment, it is the easiest way. Especially if he's going to be trying to carb and serve at the same time. Constantly changing pressures so you can repressurize your seeing tank is a pain in the rear.

Thanks for the advice guys. You are so right, rookie mistake. Miss read the gauge. It was at 1.01.

I emailed the company that made the recipe and asked if there was an average OG number I could use for the starting number since I screwed up. They replied 1.032 or 1.036 would be a good starting value. So now I have 1.036-1.01 equals 2.6.

I am going to take another reading right now on Friday afternoon. My plan was to bottle and keg actually the other way around on Saturday evening. I just came from the general store where I bought bottles washer and Bottletree and the gentleman there advised me to use a secondary fermentation method. Your thoughts/advice on that would be appreciated.

I have to admit I was looking forward to kegging and bottling Saturday and being able to drink a cold one on Sunday during one of the football games but I guess I can wait another week. If I did that I would really have to do it all next weekend because I'm overseas in the middle east the weekend after that for 10 days and that would be an awful long wait because I'm thirsty!

Thanks for the advice.

You are right, it was a rookie mistake, the reading was 1.01. Actually it was probably about 1.014. I just took another reading today at 3 o'clock and it was 1.014.

I found a new homebrew section at a local general store. Actually not new. The guy that runs it is 75 years old and been brewing almost as long. I purchased my bottles and a bottle washer and Bottletree and sought out some advice. He recommended I do a secondary fermentation for another 2 weeks.

My plan was to just pour kegs tomorrow and bottle the rest. I was going to use carb tabs on the bottles. If I use a secondary fermentation I have to bottle and keg next weekend. I can't wait to weeks like he recommended because I have to jump over to the middle east for a week and won't be back in that timeframe. Instead of 2 weeks, it would wait 4 and I would not be here to monitor it. Besides I'm thirsty!

Your thoughts/advice?

Don't worry about the secondary. All it will add at this point is time. If it were me, I'd keg the kegs, bottle the bottle with two Munton's tabs, and be ready for delicious pours of my first perfectly carbonated keg as soon as my wheels hit down.

Make sure to purge the air out of the kegs that won't be left on gas.

Don't worry about the secondary. All it will add at this point is time. If it were me, I'd keg the kegs, bottle the bottle with two Munton's tabs, and be ready for delicious pours of my first perfectly carbonated keg as soon as my wheels hit down.

Make sure to purge the air out of the kegs that won't be left on gas.

Visalia?!?!?! Wadda ya know? Born and reared there myself. MWHS, COS. My dad still lives there. Small world, huh?

snaps10 said:
Yeah, I'm sure he did. I was in "heading out for another overnight shift of saving the world one crack whore and meth head at a time" mode and not thinking straight.
I figure from this quote you are in law enforcement. Thanks for your service. As the son of a 30 yr police officer in NJ I appreciate what you do.

I came to that decision already. Fermenting had slowed. I xfr to a secondary today and will keg this weekend.

Only 2 tabs per bottle? Ok I will go with tat and maybe drop 3 in a few for comparison.

Went over my kedge raptor and kegs today. Not sure how to bleed them. They have the gravity twist spout at bottom and a plug on top. You tap through the plug and then attach the co2 through it. Maybe a couple tabs in the 2nd keg? I calculate 14 tabs for 168 oz but they say use 1/3 in keg so maybe just 5. Or will storing it cold in frig be good? It hold 2.

My math is 2 5L kegs and 25 bottles. Actually less. I had about 4.7 gals after xfr today. I have 3 kegs and 36 bottles. I future when I drain 1st keg and a dozen bottles I can brew something else while draining the 2nd keg and 12 pack. Gotta have a plan right?

I always brew when I keg or bottle. That's the longest I try to go between brewing. Gotta keep the pipeline flowing. Can you upload a picture of your kegs?

Oh, and I'm in fire/EMS. My brother is law enforcement. We both think the other is nuts.

I said two tabs per bottle because you'd rather slightly under carb than overcarb. You don't have the time to make sure your gravity levels are solid. If there is any residual sugar the yeasties will eat that as well as the priming tabs.

Well thx anyway. I am a former Mayor and hold my Public Safety guys in high esteem. I am a former helicopter gunship pilot myself.

I post some pics tomorrow.

Pix of initial efforts

image-556982897.jpg

image-4139801897.jpg

image-1331193128.jpg

image-1684060425.jpg

Taste great! Did a taste test against Miller Lite and it is about the same. I started simple on this first brew. Guy at store recommended this recipe close to a beer I know to start.

Back