Bottling a High Gravity Barrel Aged Beer...question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FermentedArtistry

Reaction score
So I currently have a 9.4% Belgian Triple aging in a 10 gallon apple brandy barrel. The time has finally come to bottle this baby and I have a question regarding the carbing process. I know for a fact that the barrel was soaked with liquor and had almost a half bottle sloshing around in the bottom. When I go to bottle this will all that booze kill the yeast for using priming sugar? Or should I use champage yeast, and again how much should I use?

Any Thoughts?

Thanks!
Brad
FermentedArtistry.com

A half bottle in ten gallons won't make much difference in the ABV. I like champagne yeast for carbonating big beers and you may as well toss a whole packet in.

Use champagne or WLP099. I would definitely proof the yeast or even make a small starter with the yeast day before you bottle. That way you have active yeast going into that high alcohol environment. I recently was given a hard time with some high gravity bottlings. One at 14% and one at 11.5%. I have popped the caps on one so far and used a pipette to dose each bottle with about a 1ml of dense slurry.

Back