bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrost

Reaction score
I have recently ran out of bottle I have a ton of old captain Morgan bottles with the screw on lids if I sanitize these bottles and stabilize my Mead can I store them in those bottles long term or with that affect it in any way?

I read somewhere once that screw tips weren't ideal.
I can't remember the details though.
Sorry.

I ran out of bottles myself but I too used some captain Morgan bottles. Mine were the private stock though which have synthetic corks.

Now that I'm thinking about it I think they mention screw tips were ideal because they aren't tight enough but I could be wrong.

I prefer the grolsch flip tops but the runner seals need to be sanitized properly, as with all containers.

Thanks for the in site I wonder if I can bulk age then bottle and use those within a month of bottling

The problem with screw top bottles is that unless you have the exactly right new screw caps and the sealling/crimping tool you might not get a good enough seal. Plus the cap/neck area of the top is often thinner glass so even if you get corks that seem to seal ok, it's possible that you might find that some will "flake chip"....

You'd be better placed getting crown caps/capper and beer bottles of your chosen size - filling them very close to the top and using oxygen absorbing caps will be fine for a year or two.....

The OP isn't talking about screwtop wine bottles, he's talking about screwtop liquor bottles, which have plastic tops.

My friend goes through about 6 liters a week so I have a lot of then and a few half gallon bottles I want to know if there safe for aging

I would think as previously said, as long as there is a good seal. Maybe buy some tasting corks, like what comes in non screw cap alcohol bottles. Although my Glenlivet cork wont seal my Rebel Yell bottle, so that may be a same issue for you.

I suppose if you have it dip the cap in some wax to give it a tight seal. Just keep it cool enough not to do any damage to your plastic lid. Might just be a bad idea in general.

Although people bottle meads into soda bottles and I can't imagine they fresh seal those, so it might work out for you.

My friend goes through about 6 liters a week so I have a lot of then and a few half gallon bottles I want to know if there safe for aging

Wow I hope he owns a bar or something, otherwise he may be over doing it a tad on the captain...

Latest posts

Back