Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweenc

Reaction score
I have read a lot of information about bottles and bottling. I want to get things straight now cause i have an IPA brewin in the basement that i would like to enjoy.

First, will any non-screw off bottle do? I know green lets in light and all so im just talking about functionally holding my brew.
My brew supply shop employee told me i should buy craft beers, and to use those bottles. Is there anything about craft beer bottles that make them better suited for homebrewers?

It doesnt seem to me to be the most important part of the process as far as brewing goes, but i would like to hear what i should be drinking now in order to prepare enough bottles for my IPA.

I think he referred craft brews since they are almost always pry offs.

Obviously you cant cap a bottle designed for a cork, but any pry off bottle will work for you.

As long as it is a pry-off bottle, you're fine, craft or not. Some 750ml bottles are champagne bottles that have a larger mouth requiring champagne caps (and usually a bigger capper) but the majority of pry-off bottles (12oz, 22oz, 750ml, etc) will work just fine.

Well he said use craft brews cuz they are usually no screw off. And its cheaper cuz u get to enjoy the contents then reuse the bottles. A couple hours soaked in the green top oxygen clean and the tables come right off.

Most non screw offs work. There are some that you can use because they have a big head under the lip and the 2 handed capped can't cap them.

Well he said use craft brews cuz they are usually no screw off. And its cheaper cuz u get to enjoy the contents then reuse the bottles. A couple hours soaked in the green top oxygen clean and the tables come right off.

Green top OxyClean? Never saw that color. Only Blue. What's the diff?

Latest posts

Back