Bottle Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends...no, not the diaper...:D

If they are used and/or newly acquired I clean them in bleach water.

Once they are mine and used I rinse them out several times right after pouring the beer into a glass. From then on I never clean them again. There's no need to. Once you rinse them all the sugar water is removed. I just sanitize prior to filling.

Now, if I give some out and get a crusty bottle back...it's back to the bleach washing.

TIP: Buy 2 bottle washers. Cut off the end (away from the bristles). This way you can put the end into your drill for cleaning the inside of stubborn bottles...just pull the trigger...;) :D

TheJadedDog said:
I wash all my bottles in Oxyclean. A good soak should remove any junk that is left in them from previous use.

I forget where the thread is that explained it but chemically Oxyclean is the same as Cascade Dish Soap...

Didn't know that before i bought a box of it. Now i just use it to be rid of it... Then I'll either sanitize with some bleach water or i'll use the High Temp Scrub on my dishwasher to get them really hot... Haven't had a bad bottle yet...

I use oxyclean 1st let them soak for a while to get out anything that might be left after I rinse. Then before I bottle I use star san. NO problems yet knock on wood.:)

Thanks for all the replays.
I also rinse by bottles out after poring the beer into a glass.
I have been washing my bottle the night before I bottle with B-Bright, then using B-T-F right before bottling.

Sure like this forum lot go good info here.

FishBone

DeadYetiBrew said:
I forget where the thread is that explained it but chemically Oxyclean is the same as Cascade Dish Soap...

Didn't know that before i bought a box of it. Now i just use it to be rid of it... Then I'll either sanitize with some bleach water or i'll use the High Temp Scrub on my dishwasher to get them really hot... Haven't had a bad bottle yet...

Ummm, yeah, I was just talking about how I clean my bottles since that is what the original poster asked about. I sanitize with iodophor prior to bottling.

DeadYetiBrew said:

According to this website: http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16003248

They are apparently completely different animals. Oxyclean is potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, and sodium hypochlorite and if you go with Sun brand it is sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate.

Although Cascade does contain some sodium carbonate as a water softener (along with complex sodium phosphates), it also contains fragrance, sodium silicate, sodium sulphate anhydrous, bleach, nameless cleaning agent, sudsing agent, pigment/colorant/dye, and unnamed surfactants.

Another cheap alternative is Tri-sodium Phosphate. I clean all my equipment with TSP. Works great on Dirty Primaries, no scrubimg at all. If the first soak doesn't get it, just rinse and repeat.

“What can I use to wash my bottles, that you can get at the locale store?”

What I heard about here on this forum and have used with no problem for my last 5 or more batches is the dishwasher. It does a great job as long as the bottles are rinsed after use so that there are no chunks. I run them though twice with no soap in the “ANTI-BACTERIAL” setting plus “EXTRA HOT WASH.” When it’s done a light comes on that says, “SANITIZED.” I haven’t used any chemical sanitizers on my bottles since discovering this method. I bottle straight from the dishwasher. As long as you plan ahead this can be a real time saver.

Back