Bottle sanitizing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmedic43

Reaction score
I know I have seen this on here before but I am unable to relocate it. I have heard of some people sanitizing their bottles in the dishwasher and have been told it is acceptable sanitization. I also heard something about not using a rinse agent like Jet Dry but am unsure the reasoning. Also, if I use that type of agent in my dishwasher, how many loads should the dishwasher be run once it is gone to remove any trace of it? (I know every dishwasher is different but an approximate would be great). Also, say I sanitize my bottles in the dishwasher with Jet Dry and then soak them in my sanitizer (in my case LD Carlson company "Easy Clean") will that take away the ill effects of the Jet Dry?? Thank you all very much for the info, will hopefully be bottling soon.

Secondary: English Boch Kit
In line: Not quite sure yet, suggestions will be considered.

Jet Dry,as well as many other dish soaps have an oily enzyme in them to make the water drops sheet off. It'll kill the head on the beer. So that should be run out of the machine 1st,imo. I don't like sanitizing in the dishwasher,as the bottle opening is a bit small for the hot water to get in. Not sure the heat temp is enough. But some on here swear by it. I prefer to use PBW for cleaning,rinse & dry on bottle tree. Then stor in covered boxes till needed. Then use a vinitor on my bottle tree to sanitize with starsan right before filling.

Dishwasher is fine, just don't use soap and don't use anything like the jet dry. If you're planning to soak in a sanitizer later, skip the dishwasher step entirely, it doesn't clean them and you'd risk the addition of jet dry.

I've bottled all my batches via dish washer sanitation. It's mostly the heat that kills bacteria and it's pretty easy to set it and forget it. I can always fit 50ish bottles in there and typically do it overnight before bottling.

I used to sanitize in my dishwasher and it works fine. I would imagine that if you ran a couple of cycles once the jetdry is empty you should be fine. I will tell you than I stopped using the dishwasher and just use Star San now. To me its easier and faster than the dishwasher.

You can also sterilize them in the oven

Cover bottles with a piece of aluminum foil and put bottles in oven and set to 250 for 12 hrs. Do not pre heat as bottles could break from the shock.

Your dishwasher needs to get above 180F to consider your bottles "sanatized." Some of the settings get up to this temp, and some don't, especially older machines.

Lots of newer ones have a sanatize or steam setting. That's what you are going for.

Neither method will do you any good if there are any noticible particulates in the bottles, so make sure you are cleaning them well after you use them. The diswasher will NOT get chunks out of a beer bottle.

I just fill my SS sink with starsan and water solution, dunk and shake each bottle, just enough rince to clear out the suds, then put them upside down in the case to dry.

For this to be viable, you also have to make sure you clean your bottles really good after use so that there are no noticible particulates left when you store them prior to bottling day.

i do this all the time and have never had an issue the key is to make sure your bottles are clean (no gunk in them). put them all in the dishwasher with the "heat dry" setting on (the important part) and run it with no soap or detergent. if i am going to bottle that night i just load them up in the morning and turn it on and head to work... when i get home they are done and ready to go.... they should stay sanitized until you open up the dishwasher so i don't worry about leaving them in there for a while and it gives them time to cool

I always do my bottles in the diswasher and have not had a problem yet. No soap or jet dry and my diswaher has a sanitize button on it. If yours does not and has jet dry in it, just use star san.

Back