bottle sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_GFH

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle 36, 22oz bottles, I was wondering if I could make a batch of starsan water and fill the bottles a quarter of the way, shake them then pour it out and immediately fill with the brew?

I'm about to bottle 36, 22oz bottles, I was wondering if I could make a batch of starsan water and fill the bottles a quarter of the way, shake them then pour it out and immediately fill with the brew?

I do that without any problems except that the foam gets in the way. That being said the instructions do say to let it air dry. Your call.

yes that will work but why not just submerge the bottles in the bucket of starsan. let them fill all the way and soak. then drain and fill with beer.

30 second contact is all that's needed. The foam will be displaced by the beer when you use a wand to fill the bottles. Soak the caps in Starsan as well.:mug:

Also, you don't want the Starsan to dry, it is effective when wet. When the instructions say to let it air dry, they mean don't rinse it off.:mug:

What about a dishwasher? Any reason this would not work?

I use a dishwasher to heat sterilize my bottles (after washing with PBW and rinsing) and then bottle as I unload them from the dishwasher.

Latest posts

Back