Bottle.... Or keep in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin306

Reaction score
One week in primary, two weeks in secondary. This is my very first brew. There is an off taste to it. My guess is diacetyl. Would I be better suited to let it sit in the secondary for longer, or let it bottle condition?

merlin306 said:
One week in primary, two weeks in secondary. This is my very first brew. There is an off taste to it. My guess is diacetyl. Would I be better suited to let it sit in the secondary for longer, or let it bottle condition?

Why rack to secondary?

Because i'm a noob and my kit came with 2 carboys. One benefit - I have a second brew going in my primary that's not getting disturbed until bottling day. Too much "good" info from other sources,and not enough good info from these forums. Live and learn.....

That is, not enough good info from these forums soon enuf, sorry. These forums are saving my hb future

Bulk aging in the carboy might be beneficial, but not to a huge extent IMO...the beer is still too young to be evaluating...go ahead and bottle if you choose, or wait if you choose...give it some time either way...

Bulk aging in the carboy might be beneficial, but not to a huge extent IMO...the beer is still too young to be evaluating...go ahead and bottle if you choose, or wait if you choose...give it some time either way...

+1. I haven't "liked" a single one of my beers out of the primary. I guess I don't have a palate for young, flat beers like others. However, learning a beers potential based off of what it tastes like in this state is a whole 'nother subject.

Back