Bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablo

Reaction score
Say if I chill my bottles for a couple of weeks after the initial 3 week room temp bottle conditioning, and then let them go back to room temperature, am I back to square one as regards cold conditioning ? i.e. is it as if they were never chilled ?

Cold conditioning is in reference to chilling them before you bottle to drop the yeast out of suspension so there will be less yeast in the bottles. If you chill the bottles the yeast will settle on the bottom of the bottles. When they warm back up, the yeast should still be at the bottom.

There's really no need to do that....there is very little "conditioning" done while cold for ales...the yeast go dormant( lagers are different, the yeast thrive in the cold.but most of the conditioning is already done in the lagering phase)...you don't want them dormant, if you want them to condition your beers...just leave then at 70 till they are carbed and no longer green tasting...then chill and enjoy....

Chilling them like that is good. More than just yeast will drop out. Proteins will too. I think it can make some beers cleaner tasting. It seems Duvel is cooled to below 32F after just five days. Sounds crazy.

Latest posts

Back