Bottle conditioning with champagne yeast - - any negative side effects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elrond

Reaction score
I am impatient. I made a 10.3% barleywine with US-05.
2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, 1 week cold crash, 5 weeks in the bottle. FIVE WEEKS! Not carbed! And they were all primed with a whole C&H sugar cube jammed down the neck of the bottle.
I popped the cap off of half of them, and sprinkled 10-20 granules of champagne (Premier Cuvee) yeast per bottle, and recapped them.
I've compared them, and the ones which I've sprinkled the champagne yeast onto are MUCH more carbonated.

Is there any reason to not sprinkle a little bit of champagne yeast into the beer when bottling, even if it's a weak 7% beer, just to help the priming sugar speed up?
Will the impatience hurt the quality of the beer?

Is there any reason to not sprinkle a little bit of champagne yeast into the beer when bottling, even if it's a weak 7% beer, just to help the priming sugar speed up?
Will the impatience hurt the quality of the beer?

The reason to not do this is that most beers don't need it, and if you add more yeast, you'll have more yeast sediment.

Latest posts

Back