Bottle conditioning room got to 90 for a few hours. Whats the damage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvtspook

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew Sunday night. An Irish red ale extract from NB with Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. I'm storing the bottles in my windowless laundry room in the basement. Since it is only 63 in there I've been using a space heater to keep the room at 70. I checked it at 3 pm today and it was sitting pretty at 70. Some time between then and 10 tonight it tweaked and heated the room up to 90. I replaced the heater and its back to 70 now. So worst case my beer was sitting in a 90 degree room for 5 hours. How much is this going to affect the flavor and carbonation of my beer. I'm brewing and learning and having a blast and allot of that is because of the great info on this site and all the great posts and threads so thanks HBT.

I can't say I have experience with your exact situation, but I'd say there is absolutely no damage done. You're going to have to try a lot harder than that to damage your beer. Cheers!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I just bottled my first brew Sunday night. An Irish red ale extract from NB with Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. I'm storing the bottles in my windowless laundry room in the basement. Since it is only 63 in there I've been using a space heater to keep the room at 70. I checked it at 3 pm today and it was sitting pretty at 70. Some time between then and 10 tonight it tweaked and heated the room up to 90. I replaced the heater and its back to 70 now. So worst case my beer was sitting in a 90 degree room for 5 hours. How much is this going to affect the flavor and carbonation of my beer. I'm brewing and learning and having a blast and allot of that is because of the great info on this site and all the great posts and threads so thanks HBT.
I'm not exactly the grizzled old pro around here, so don't take my word as gospel. But since primary fermentation is done and it's in the bottle, my guess is that at most it may have speeded up your carbonation by a few hours or a day.

I appreciate the help. I had read about how fermenting at to high a temp causes off flavors but didn't know if it did the same during conditioning. Now I can sleep soundly tonight and dream of cracking my first cold homebrew in a month. Thanks again guys for the quick reassurance.

+1 on the other posts. The primary fermentation was okay. This second small one won't affect, or you won't notice the difference.

I've had beers carbing & conditioning upstairs in summer get to that temp. Being in bottles-ie a closed environment-they'll just carb quicker. It won't make off flavors,as in a vented primary fermenter. The only primary rule that applies to bottled beers,in my experiences,is the yeasts' low end temp. Too low in bottles,& the yeast go dormant,or are slow to carb & condition.

Back