Bottle Conditioning/Carbonation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadygrove96

Reaction score
Hey all. Been homebrewing for a number of years and started running into an issue I've never encountered before and could use some input/advice.

I all grain brew and have been using the same general procedure for years. I do both a primary and a secondary fermentation generally hitting pretty close to my intended gravities. However, in each of the last three batches I have brewed I have gotten zero carbonation out of my bottle conditioning procedure. The funny part is, I don't believe I've changed much about my process.

I use corn sugar to carbonate and use the Northern Brewer calculator to determine the volume of sugar needed for the style brewed. I generally keep the beer at fermentation temps in my basement, probably in the mid to upper 60's. The only difference in my process that I can think of is that i now use StarSan for sanitizing my bottles. Previously, I would use the bleach process Papazian describes in the Homebrewer's Companion. Could this have anything to do with it? Could it be bad bottle caps? I've been buying the same type from my LHBS for years.

I did move a little over a year ago from a place with no basement to a place with a basement where I now ferment and condition, but like I said, temps don't usually get down below the mid 60's. I've checked bottles after months and still nothing. I've even brought some bottles up to the main living area to sit for a couple of weeks in the hope that conditioning would kick start, but nothing. Admittedly though, it was after I had no carbonation in the basement for a few weeks. Should I start keeping them at 70+ deg for all of the conditioning time?

Any input/advice would be helpful. Thanks.

It sounds like your caps probably aren't sealing properly (more likely an issue with the capper than the caps).
Try putting a bottle or two in sealed plastic bags after adding priming sugar and capping. You could even open a couple of your most recent bottles, add more priming sugar, recap and put in plastic bags (to save losing another batch). If the bags swell up, the caps are leaking.

i believe that priming bottles should be kept warm (70ish). Have these 3 batches been bulk aging a long time?
I no longer sanitize bottles. Clean, dry and bake is my process now. Nothing lives through that. Saves water, time and starsan in the process

Thanks for the input on the bottle caps. I'll try the bag and see what happens.

i believe that priming bottles should be kept warm (70ish). Have these 3 batches been bulk aging a long time?
I no longer sanitize bottles. Clean, dry and bake is my process now. Nothing lives through that. Saves water, time and starsan in the process

What do you mean by "bake"? You put them in an oven? Or Dishwasher on just a dry cycle?

The first batch this happened to has long been dumped. I still have the last two batches in the basement. Haven't touched them in a couple months. Was planning on brewing soon and didn't want to end up with the same results, so i came here first.

The night before bottling I get the number of clean bottles I think I'm going to need for my batch. Cover each opening with a small square of aluminum foil. All the bottles then go into the oven on the bottom rack. Bake at 350 for 1.5 hrs. Shut the oven off. Let them cool naturally in the oven overnight. The next day I line up all my bottles on the counter with my bottling bucket elevated on two milk crates right next the bottles. Leave the aluminum over the top until you're ready to fill them. I usually pull 3-4 off at a time. The bottles will stay sanitized until the foil is removed so if you have extra bottles they are good for your next batch if you leave the foil in place. You'll never have a contaminated bottle again.

It sounds like a lot but it only takes about 15 minutes to get them into the oven and heating up. Then you can go do something else.

Hope that helps!

Hey all. Been homebrewing for a number of years and started running into an issue I've never encountered before and could use some input/advice.

I all grain brew and have been using the same general procedure for years. I do both a primary and a secondary fermentation generally hitting pretty close to my intended gravities. However, in each of the last three batches I have brewed I have gotten zero carbonation out of my bottle conditioning procedure. The funny part is, I don't believe I've changed much about my process.

I use corn sugar to carbonate and use the Northern Brewer calculator to determine the volume of sugar needed for the style brewed. I generally keep the beer at fermentation temps in my basement, probably in the mid to upper 60's. The only difference in my process that I can think of is that i now use StarSan for sanitizing my bottles. Previously, I would use the bleach process Papazian describes in the Homebrewer's Companion. Could this have anything to do with it? Could it be bad bottle caps? I've been buying the same type from my LHBS for years.

I did move a little over a year ago from a place with no basement to a place with a basement where I now ferment and condition, but like I said, temps don't usually get down below the mid 60's. I've checked bottles after months and still nothing. I've even brought some bottles up to the main living area to sit for a couple of weeks in the hope that conditioning would kick start, but nothing. Admittedly though, it was after I had no carbonation in the basement for a few weeks. Should I start keeping them at 70+ deg for all of the conditioning time?

Any input/advice would be helpful. Thanks.

The basement may not get below the mid 60's....at eye level, but you probably set the bottles on the floor where it is much cooler. That basement floor would be great for storage but the yeast go to sleep instead of carbonating the beer at those temps. Give the beer a week or 2 where the temperature is in the 70's, then move them to the basement.

Thanks for the input on the bottle caps. I'll try the bag and see what happens.

What do you mean by "bake"? You put them in an oven? Or Dishwasher on just a dry cycle?

The first batch this happened to has long been dumped. I still have the last two batches in the basement. Haven't touched them in a couple months. Was planning on brewing soon and didn't want to end up with the same results, so i came here first.

Yep, I put foil over the top and put 'em in an oven and run it at 350 for an hour. Turn the oven off and let it cool naturally. When cool, the bottles are sanitized and ready to go. I do a case at a time and just put them back into the case box. If you do it at night, you can just let the oven cool overnight. I have ready-to-fill bottles all the time without the slop of sanitizer.

I'm not sure why anyone would do it differently, but everyone has the processes they love.

I always add fresh yeast at botteling to avoid this . Might give it a try , a little goes a long way

Back