bottle capper wearing out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
i've had the same red baron style bottle capper since i've started brewing about 6 years ago and never had a problem that wasn't user error or a bottle with an odd shaped neck until the last couple batches ago. it started not setting the caps on as well, leading to caps that were crimped slightly offset. wondering if they get less accurate after a while or i'm just loosing the knack.

After capping about 200 bottles my wing capper started breaking bottle necks on Sam Adams bottles. So I got tired of wincing every time I capped a bottle. Bought a Grifo Bench Capper for $45 and now bottling day is a joy. I actually look forward to bottling now.

Hi dom dom,

My first capper wore out after a year or so - it might be worth looking at the bell, but if it looks structurally unsound it's probably just best to replace it for the money they cost. Last thing you want is to find you hadn't sealed bottles & they're flat and oxidised!

Latest posts

Back