Bottle cap keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedjosh

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster, so I’m sorry if this isn’t up to par. I’ve been wanting to build one of these for a while so I finally took a shot at it. Here’s the build. Roughed out the wood first. Went with a 2×8 collar with 2 pieces of 3/4″ ply on the top. 1×10 pine as the facade and 1×4 pine as trim.

20160505_182853.jpg

Built the coffin to house 5 taps, the freezer will hold 6, so I can be cold crashing one when I know another is about to kick.

20160505_183147.jpg

20160505_182949.jpg

20160505_183026.jpg

20160505_183101.jpg

20160505_183011.jpg

Started staining and realized it was blotchy, so I tried covering it with polyshades gel stain, biggest mistake ever. After 4 coats of polyshades it was dark, I could have dealt with that but then it started to alligator…

I bought citristrip and went to town. Took it the whole way down to bare wood, applied Prestain this time and all was good from there. 4 coats of min wax red oak stain and 5 coats of min wax semi-gloss poly, after that was dry came the tiling.

img_0066.jpg

Laid down thin set then 1/4″ backer board then 1 inch marble mosaic tile sheets that I removed every other one from. After that had set I squeezed thinset through a gallon freezer bag between the tile and added the bottle caps.

img_0069.jpg

img_0074.jpg

Then came the grout.

img_0113.jpg

img_0115.jpg

img_0114-1.jpg

img_0117.jpg

And finally the epoxy. The smaller sections were easy as could be, but I managed to get a few micro bubbles in the largest pour, should have used a seal coat first, but I was getting impatient. I just want to pour my first draft already!

img_0122.jpg

Not bad for my first attempt at wood working, my first attempt at staining and sealing wood, my first attempt at tiling and grouting, and my first attempt at pouring epoxy resin. All in all, throughout all the ups and downs, this thing still turned out amazing!

img_0180.jpg

img_0179.jpg

img_0178.jpg

Very nice job, especially for a self described newbie to the skills needed! I didn't go with a coffin top since it makes it more difficult to open the top and it must be further from wall. Are you cooling your taps in any way? If not, expect a lot of foam......

There's the perfect amount in every glass! I went with 10 foot tap lines just because I was worried about that. The entire underside of the coffin is open to the freezer and the lines are ran through there right beside a 120mm fan that kicks on every time the freezer does so no foaming issues!

Want to come build one for me? :)

I like the woodwork, and I think the alternating tiles and bottle caps is spot on. However, there are some interior drips of stain in the 8th pic so points off for that. :)

I could see an entire bar top done in this fashion. Very nice.

Back